Aqua finds

Here you can discuss any hunts or finds you may have made from the wild, auctions, shows, etc.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Aqua finds

Postby cdnbeehive » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:55 pm

I finally got out for another hunt, possibly one of the last before the snow flies, and took a stab at some submerged pole sites where I had some moderate luck in the spring.

This time I went with my son and a co-worker, Ryan, who has been bitten by the bug. We brought hip waders with us, and this greatly opened up our hunting territory. It was an arduous 700m bushwhack to get there, but a pleasant spot finally with temperatures around 10 degrees (Celcius!!) and full sun. Within minutes I had found some 143's that had turned up last year. A few more steps and I could see a dark circle in the sand. I reached down and pulled up a slightly less common than normal Dwight 143 in green aqua. I had a good feeling about this hunt! Minutes later Ryan turned up a broken Dwight and a broken GNW 145. Hmm... things I hadn't noticed 6 months ago, but nothing too exciting. Suddenly I saw a shape on the bottom that I recognized, even if I had never found one in the wild... the classic outline of a 742! Sadly it was only half of one, but it was a nice long variant in light green aqua with some wicked snot. As I was bragging about it, Ryan screams, "HEY, I GOT A THREADLESS". My first question was "Is it intact?" his response: YES!

Excellent! He turned up an aqua MTCo. 742 in great shape. It was mostly buried, thus spared the etching action of the relentless waves. Naturally I was envious, as I had never turned up an intact threadless insulator myself!

Oddly, we found nothing else after that. We searched like madmen, but to no avail. The whole time Ryan was clutching his find... I think he will be taking it to bed with him tonight! Certainly a great hunt!

The moral of the story is this: Sometimes the unlikely places turn up good stuff. If you have a kooky idea on where to hunt, try it. I've found some neat and unusual stuff while following these hunches.

Happy hunting, while it lasts!
misc 150.jpg
misc 150.jpg (168.17 KiB) Viewed 20713 times
misc 151.jpg
misc 151.jpg (201.46 KiB) Viewed 20713 times
Last edited by cdnbeehive on Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cdnbeehive

Re: Aqua finds

Postby Randy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:21 pm

Ouch sounds like an excellent hunt.... Very Rare to get an intact Threadless, unless you probe all the time! Good Stuff "need pictures".... Hehheh
Randy

Postby cdnbeehive » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:27 pm

Pictures now atatched!
cdnbeehive

Postby novascotiaglass » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:02 am

Now that is what I call motivation to get out and hunt.

Killer finds, id be back hunting that line hard and often.

Great stuff!!!!
Glass Junkie....I need another fix
novascotiaglass

Postby cdnbeehive » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:45 pm

Here is a little something I found while looking in the water again- this time about 1km to the west.

It was black when I found it, and I almost threw it back. Anyone know anything about these? I assume it was used to lock a customs building at a nearby GTR station.

Chris
Attachments
lock 001.jpg
lock 001.jpg (212.37 KiB) Viewed 20645 times
cdnbeehive

Postby novascotiaglass » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:35 pm

Nice looking lock, looks similar to the CGR one I found a couple months back, brass and heart shaped.

Pretty nice looking, ive never seen that lock before, could be a real good one.
Glass Junkie....I need another fix
novascotiaglass

Postby Bushman » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:04 pm

Chris; That appears to be an old Grand Trunk Railway switch lock.pending on the size of the pin hole when you slide the tab sideways. will determine if it,s a switch lock,or a masterlock used for other purposes (gas sheds,dynimite magazines etc..)/That,s quite the find.. if ya ever de-side to get rid of it, let me know were you toss it..Hopefully at the Perth Show....Andy
Bushman

Postby cdnbeehive » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:59 pm

Bushman wrote:Chris; That appears to be an old Grand Trunk Railway switch lock.pending on the size of the pin hole when you slide the tab sideways. will determine if it,s a switch lock,or a masterlock used for other purposes (gas sheds,dynimite magazines etc..)/That,s quite the find.. if ya ever de-side to get rid of it, let me know were you toss it..Hopefully at the Perth Show....Andy

Here's the keyhole... I think it was used to lock a customs house, based on the stamping.
Attachments
lock 002.jpg
lock 002.jpg (212.27 KiB) Viewed 20622 times
cdnbeehive

Postby Bushman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:47 pm

Chris here,s the standard brass switch key that cn and cp uses,on there locks, it would be quite amazing if you could retain one of the Grand Trunk keys to fit that lock with the unique cut pattern,There, probably few and far between as at end of employement keys were secured back to the company,,as is still today for security reasons..
Attachments
IMG_3223.JPG
IMG_3223.JPG (173.29 KiB) Viewed 20593 times
Bushman

Re: Aqua finds - Finally found mine

Postby Aidan Morgan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:59 am

Hi All ,
When this thread first came out it reminded me that I had a couple of old locks too. It took me 3 yrs to find mine and if it hadn't been for a minor flood in the basement that soaked 5 or 6 cardboard boxes of stuff they would still be lost. I've had them packed away for over 30 years, wow , time sure flys. The GTP lock was found along the CNR main line near Smithers, B.C. and the C.N.R.W. (Canadian Northern Rail Way. I presume by the vintage) was found in the same general area but I'm not positive about that one.
When I found the GTP I recognized the chain but the ball of rust and crud on the end was unrecognizable and I was really surprised to see a lock and especially a brass GTP lock when it was cleaned up.

Take care
Aidan
Old railway locks(1).jpg
Old railway locks(1).jpg (131.12 KiB) Viewed 20166 times
Aidan Morgan

Return to Hunts & Finds