Maybe I'm Back...

Here you can discuss any hunts or finds you may have made from the wild, auctions, shows, etc.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Maybe I'm Back...

Postby CliMac » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:46 am

Hi everybody. I guess everyone thought I must have croaked or something, but I'm still kicking. I just haven't had much time for insulators lately. I never completely lost interest, but my interest in insulators became overshadowed by my interest in metal detecting. I had purchased a metal detector to search for iron tie wires in order to help me locate threadless pole sites. Gradually I tried using it to find other things and before I knew it, I was addicted to searching for coins and relics. I guess if I'd been making good insulator finds more frequently this might not have happened.

This year I find my interest in insulators somewhat rekindled. I am concentrating on threadless and have been out with the detector looking for tie wires again. I don't feel that I gave that technique enough of a chance when I 1st tried it a few years ago. I have found tie wires, and I think I have managed to find a few threadless pole sites that were previously unknown to me, but so far no threadless glass. I guess that whether or not I stay with it depends on me actually finding something fairly soon, and if I do, then to keep finding them more than once or twice a year.

I have managed to find one non-threadless keeper so far, a Montreal 143.

Montreal - 1.jpg
Montreal - 1.jpg (62.76 KiB) Viewed 6103 times
CliMac

Re: Maybe I'm Back...

Postby Lee S. » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:44 pm

Congrats on the find, and welcome back!
Lee S.

Postby Fossulator » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:08 pm

Nice to have you back Cliff. You seemed to have dropped off the face of the earth. Glad all's well. My interest has also been diminished, I'd rather be out looking for fossils, but there is still that part of me that is always on the lookout for insulators. Priorities change, but once you start, you just can't stop
Fossulator

Postby cdnbeehive » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:12 pm

Great find Cliff, and I find an intact version of that 143 still eludes me. I have been using my magnetic locator a bit more lately. It certainly is not a crutch by any means, but there are times where you will at least find some piece of hardware from an old pole that might give you a starting point.

I have been plugging away trying to find good stuff for a few years, and had a fairly dismal year in 2011. My approach has been to do research in the wintertime, then follow up on hunches in the spring. Often I go on wild goose chases and find OK stuff, but nothing fantastic. This year I might just try a little harder on the threadless lines. We have been in quite a state of neverending April like conditions that have made the best part of the hunting season even better this year. I'm off to new territory in Quebec this weekend on a very old line. I'm hoping my lucky streak continues!
cdnbeehive

Postby 369reid » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:49 pm

Hey Cliff, real good to hear you're still with us. I often wondered but never asked. Good luck with the threadless hunting and keep us posted.
Canadian Insulators Rock
369reid

Return to Hunts & Finds