Local Line Dies

Here you can discuss any hunts or finds you may have made from the wild, auctions, shows, etc.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Re: Local Line Dies

Postby Bushman » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:55 am

Careful...F.Y.I Just because the trains don,t run,doesn,t mean the power,s off..One things railways won,t surrender is valueable wire,,,it may be live feeding other sources,I Know of to many (fatalities) in days gone by,,Confirmation and release of Liability from the rightful owner may be the way to go,,,
Bushman

Postby cdnbeehive » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:38 pm

Not here... The signal wires are cut in many spots, and the other wires are low voltage.... been picked for many years.
cdnbeehive

Postby magic170 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:33 pm

I obviously dont know the area. One thing though just cause wires are cut does not mean they are entirely safe I have heard before that if another line passes overhead or closely to the other wires the power can leach from the energized line to the line that has cuts in it energizing that section.

Not sure if this info is correct but sounds like it could be . Always error on the side of cation cause sometimes u only get to make one mistake.

Craig
magic170

Postby gerrypocha » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:38 am

I call B.S. on that, theres no way those relativly low voltage (440V) lines could arc and cause electrocution to a climber from one line physically isolated from another.I second what Craig B. says though and would ere on the side of caution. Stay away from those insulated wires on the bottom crossarm though :)
gerrypocha

Postby Bushman » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:22 am

Question ,Just what is the purpose of an insulator.may they have something to do to prevent conductivity,(so that,s why there up there on them poles AH),Try pry,n a charred remains off a line that,s come into contact with open copper and power lines (550 volts),It,s not fun,,Is the price of copper or insulators more valuable than life,Years ago i got throwin off a crossarm,when hook,n up to contact the train dispatcher..lightin,n had struck down the line some distance but still had the power to jolt me off the lower crossarm and landin 12 feet flat on me back,,,Just food for thought
Bushman

Postby speleausmining » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:50 am

I carry an high quality amp meter for just this reason no line is touched untill it has been checked. Yes theres other things that can energize a line like wind, lightning, energized lines running nearby etc. Lighting is the one you really need to worry about as it can travel a long ways and theres no warning. Its winter so the risk of lighning is nil. I generally am much happier to pick a line when the lines are in bad shape. In this case the wires are down, cut, tangled in trees, hanging feet from the ground etc. Every conductor reads 0 amps, or 0.005 or so on a windy day. I spent alot of time talking to linemen about how to do this safely. I stay away from power lines regardless of the condition of the line (unless theres no line and just poles) because the potential there is for death. Telegraphs never opperated at very significant amps. The most these lines carried in recent times was the relays for the crossing signals but now even the boxes have been mostly striped out. As far as insulators for telegraph goes their primary purpose was to prevent leakage of the signal. Without a good insulator transmission over long distances was impossible. The insulator is there to protect the signal not the pole etc.
speleausmining

Previous

Return to Hunts & Finds