Some recent hunts...and a couple buys

Here you can discuss any hunts or finds you may have made from the wild, auctions, shows, etc.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Some recent hunts...and a couple buys

Postby novascotiaglass » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:45 am

Story 1: Some Buys

Got a contact of a guy in NFLD who had some insulators for sale. I got in contact with him and he certainly did have some insulators. He had several shelves full, I picked out a few that I wanted and we made a deal. The pieces I got were:
1. Hemingray-20 CD 164 in Carnival
2. CD 143 Standard in SCA
3. CD 121 Diamond in Straw, this was my fave piece. Never seen one of these around before, so was happy to add it to my toll collection.

I also purchased another CD 154 Dom-42 in honey/orange amber from a flea market here in Halifax.

Story 2: A hunt I went on

Got out to hunt the line I found the Lefferts Hook on last fall. I took the new metal detector out to scan a few poles to see if I could find a hook or two.
As soon as I got started I was hitting a fair amount of iron. I pulled several very old tie wires as well as some newer ones. Then I started finding square nails, actually a lot of square nails. I ended up scanning two pole sites, found lots of nails and wires, and I few CD 127 shards. I know I am hunting the right pole locations, so ill go back and probe the two spots. Heading back out shortly (as in today when the rain ends) to hunt a different section of the line looking for Lefferts Hooks, I know they are there just gotta put the time in. Good thing about this line is I didnt find barely any junk metal around the pole locations, just telegraph related "junk", such as nuts, bolts, nails, tie wires, etc etc. So I didnt waste too much time digging absolute garbage.

Story 3: Another hunt I started that turned into something else

I went to an auction a couple weeks ago to check it out, ended up being nothing there of interest. So I decided to stop for a hunt on the way home, the track isn't old enough for threadless, but some good insulators have turned up in the area before at antique shops, yard sales, etc. So I picked a spot to start, I only walked in about 100m and saw a downed pole. Walked over, there was a broken white spool insulator and a broken dom-42 in straw. So I decided to walk a bit further, i turned to start walking and saw some old wash pans and other misc. metal over in the woods on an embankment. So I went over to check it out, turns out it was a nice big house dump that had never been dug. I started just looking around on the surface to see if it was old enough to bother with and found a nice Halifax applied top soda bottle, so I decided I had better dig this thing to pieces. I ended up finding the Halifax soda, a nice Halifax ginger beer, a few small poison bottles, a queen mason jar, etc etc. My fave find by far though was a heart shaped brass railway lock with C.G.R stamped on it. I had no idea what this lock was as in Nova Scotia the only marked railway locks that I had ever heard of are CPR, CNR, DAR and ICR. Did my research when I got home and CGR is Canadian Government Railroad, which is was formed for only 3 years and was a combination of all government owned railways during the first world war. I believe it to be pretty rare as I have never heard of or seen any CGR items around.

That's it so far for the fall, did hunt the overland telegraph line with no results, gotta get back out today to check for some Lefferts on the ole railine.

Let's get some stories out there boys and girls, what you been up to this summer/fall.

Jason
Attachments
3.JPG
3.JPG (85.24 KiB) Viewed 8299 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (71.23 KiB) Viewed 8299 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (95.68 KiB) Viewed 8299 times
Glass Junkie....I need another fix
novascotiaglass

Re: Some recent hunts...and a couple buys

Postby novascotiaglass » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:46 am

More pics
Attachments
6.JPG
6.JPG (160.32 KiB) Viewed 8298 times
7.JPG
7.JPG (223.47 KiB) Viewed 8298 times
8.JPG
8.JPG (74.5 KiB) Viewed 8298 times
novascotiaglass

Postby novascotiaglass » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:48 am

more...
Attachments
9.JPG
9.JPG (64.17 KiB) Viewed 8298 times
10.JPG
10.JPG (78.8 KiB) Viewed 8298 times
novascotiaglass

Postby Shawn143 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:09 pm

Now that is one quality hunt!!!! Nice to find a bunch of local artifacts in a house dump. Great stuff Jason.
Shawn143

Postby 369reid » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:00 pm

Way to go Jay. Stories like yours get the old itch started again. Gonna try to get out next week-end if were not snowed in. :)
Canadian Insulators Rock
369reid

Postby CliMac » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:46 pm

Those dump finds are great Jason. I like that lock and the straw toll too. You have the exact same folding saw as me.

:)
CliMac

Postby Randy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:50 pm

Nice finds J!! Looks like you in a fairly hot zone on the East coast eh....... :mrgreen:
Randy

Return to Hunts & Finds