Forum Password Reset Problem..

Post any topics related to the use of this forum or any problems you have, or any success stories!

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Forum Password Reset Problem..

Postby Randy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:28 am

Hello All:

I just did a reset for my password and this is what I got when I tried to change it

"Password must be between 231 and 235 characters long, must contain letters in mixed case and must contain numbers."

Also I just noticed if you want to choose a new user name this is what you get.... :)

"Username:
Length must be between 135 and 137 characters.

Now I'm pretty sure this is a little mistake on the admins part ;) Just wondering if this could be sorted out as I have a hard enough time remembering a 6 character PW..... LOL.... :roll:
Randy

Re: Forum Password Reset Problem..

Postby Randy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:40 am

Hiya:

Just tried again and it's still the same, except the numbers are slightly different. Example below. :)

Username:
Length must be between 145 and 147 characters.

New password:
Password must be between 231 and 238 characters long, must contain letters in mixed case and must contain numbers.

I also logged out and went to the register page and this is what I got there.

Username:
Length must be between 145 and 147 characters.

E-mail address:

Confirm e-mail address:

Password:
Password must be between 231 and 238 characters long, must contain letters in mixed case and must contain numbers.

Might be a bit of a hassle for new subscribers to this Forum eh? LOL
Randy

Postby Randy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:44 pm

K it has been a few months now. Same situation, sent a pm to Bill a month ago or so, no reply, or fix. It seems to me that no one gives a crap about this Canadian forum since new subscribers really can't subscribe for the past many months now!! Sorry but tired of the neglect of this Canadian Insulator Forum!!! Bill has enough to do obviously with ICON and other stuff!! and Ricky has something else on the go it seems. It's a very basic Admin operation to fix PW and New Member username signup .... .. And sad that it has taken at least this long to be corrected(not yet)...
Last edited by Randy on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randy

Postby magic170 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:25 pm

I agree with you Randy there is a lack of adminstration on this site. A couple months back there was some really graphic adult content posted. I email bill asking for it to be removed he responded that he forward it to Ricky and the stuff was removed I think it took a little time I can't recall. I am surprised that we really only have one Admistrator on the site. Bill really has nothing to do with the site other than hosting it. Ricky I have not seen a post from in some time. Might be time to add 1 or 2 new admins to the site.
magic170

Postby magic170 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:03 pm

Ricky I would gladly be a co moderator. I just think all forums should have a couple moderators as if one goes on holidays or something happens them that they are not able to get online you literally have a forum that is not able to have no members or if there is issues no way to resolve them. I once joined a forum and it literally took me 32 days to get access to the forum as the moderator was on holidays. Was really pretty frustrating kinda know what Randy is feeliing .
magic170

Postby Chris Minicola » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:39 pm

I would tend to agree on this one, and want to thank Ricky for all his hard work in the past. I know insulator interest comes and goes, I've gone through it myself. It's tough to stay interested though when there's no activity on the forum and now it makes sense why. One way to avoid the spammers instead of using super long usernames/passwords is to set all membership requests to require moderator approval and make sure we have a few moderators. Randy's request fell through the cracks and should have been addressed much quicker. I would be more than happy to volunteer as a moderator too as I'm checking the site fairly frequently throughout the day.
Chris Minicola

Postby Lee S. » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:58 pm

I check the site several times a day too and will gladly volunteer if you need another mod.
Lee S.

Postby Bill Meier » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:57 am

Ricky is the primary moderator. I'm only a moderator so I have the appropriate privs when needed. I am not active in the forum, which is why I requested Ricky be the primary moderator.

As has been pointed out, the trouble is that we get several spammers a day trying to join the forum. Every day I'd go through all my email and deny their requests. Of course you have to be sure (err on the conservative side; i.e. assume a spammer) they aren't a real person trying to join.

Making the user name length long discourages the spammers from joining.

I have no objection to another moderator. Just don't let the spammers join :)

If you are interested, email me and I'll add you. I do agree having more than one active moderator is a good idea.

Bill
Bill Meier

Postby Bill Meier » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:18 am

I also added Chris Minicola as a moderator. Hopefully this will improve the situation.

I has reset the username/password limits down to more reasonable lengths. They were only set high to discourage the spammers from joining. We will see how this works and how many bogus membership requests a day we get. It was too many for me to deal with but now Chris can help out in that regard :)
Bill Meier

Postby Bill Meier » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:02 pm

Well, as I wrote, less than an hour ago, I reset the username and password limits...

I already got a fake sign up... Note that you are also required to type in that "captcha" code (the funny symbols) which means a real human sumitted this request not some automated bot or something...

I suspect people get paid to do stuff just like this... spend all day going around and hacking sites. IF they got into a forum, imagine the nice spam the should send to hundreds or thousands of readers... Yes, I know this forum isn't that big, but they don't know that...

SPAM ... I never liked the stuff in the can and I definitely hate the electronic version!! :-)
Bill Meier

Next

Return to Forum Information