foreign mud?

Here you can discuss any hunts or finds you may have made from the wild, auctions, shows, etc.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

foreign mud?

Postby 369reid » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:53 pm

A friend dropped this piece off at my work while I was away, so, I have no info at all. Any one recognize it? Any input is much appreciated. Dims. 5" tall, 41/4" base, 25/8" top. Could be a Bullers Logo on front over 1920.
Attachments
SAM_0289.JPG
SAM_0289.JPG (220.72 KiB) Viewed 20598 times
SAM_0288.JPG
SAM_0288.JPG (179.07 KiB) Viewed 20603 times
SAM_0286.JPG
SAM_0286.JPG (221.88 KiB) Viewed 20603 times
Last edited by 369reid on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Canadian Insulators Rock
369reid

Re: foreign mud?

Postby novascotiaglass » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:01 am

Strange looking piece, but it looks like a good one.

Hopefully a mud collector can get you some info Reid.

Jay
Glass Junkie....I need another fix
novascotiaglass

Postby Sluggo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:40 am

Hey there,

I'm not a mud collector by any means, but I did look through my 1986 Second Edition Worldwide Porcelain Insulators book, but didn't find anything like it. There are other slash-top styles but nothing like this one.

The quickest way to learn more about it, would probably be to email the pics to Elton Gish. He has pretty much written the book on porcelain anything. Be sure to include the dimensions as well.

Hope this helps. :D
Happy collecting,

Doug Netzke (Sluggo)

Collector of Foreign glass, carnival glass, spool type, radio strain and non-glass/non-porcelain insulators.
Accidental collector of glass fishing net floats.

Sluggo

Postby Randy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:33 pm

The thread pattern looks sort of tight on this one Reid, when viewing the pic of the base and thread hole. Maybe an Australian piece???
Randy

Postby 369reid » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:09 pm

Good eye, Randy, not standard threads. I don't know, is Aussie the only other country that has different threads? I wish the embossing was stronger, I'm sure I can see England on the bottom arc of this logo, it's round with what looks almost like a British seal of some kind with what looks like a 1 in the center. Also just noticed the faint initials K E R or K E Q in faded black on the middle left side.
Canadian Insulators Rock
369reid

Postby 369reid » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:38 am

Thanks, Doug, but I've questioned Mr. Gish before on a Canadian piece and was informed by him that he is not interested in any pieces not of U.S. manufacture (foreign). He even went so far as to say that he dos'nt think the the Canadian pieces mentioned in Jack Tod's books should be there.
Canadian Insulators Rock
369reid

Postby Shawn143 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:53 am

Always cool to come up with a different porcelain piece now and again, had a few over the years. All of them were found in Canada, never knew what they were worth, so made a deal and sold some of them and moved on. Was thinking of buying a porcelain price guide, but if Canadian pieces are not featured since they don't meet the "Made in USA" criteria, now I might as well not waste my time or money.
Unique looking piece Reid, but if a product of the UK or Australia, maybe you can contact collectors in those respective countries to see if they can tell you anything. Cheers!!!

Shawn
Shawn143

Postby novascotiaglass » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:00 pm

Well that's a bit harsh. He doesn't even want canadian mud mentioned in a book. Glad to see the glass guide is for all of North America, although I am sure most canadian collectors would agree that most of our countries stuff is under valued compared to some US pieces. I don't know any big time porelain collectors in Canada for you to reference with. Too much good glass in Canada for anyone to get too involved in those ugly pieces of mud I guess ;) . J/K ofcourse...well kind of.
Glass Junkie....I need another fix
novascotiaglass

Collecting Mud?

Postby Robin Plewes » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:03 am

Hi All:
I personally see nothing wrong with the way the books have been written. It's better to write about what you know than to include items that you don't know much about. Elton is the go-to guy for US procelain and really knows his stuff.
I know he has been very helpful in answering questions for many collectors. He can't know everything about non-US insulators though, so doesn't include them in his works.
Mark L. documented many Canadian beehives in his book.
We just don't have a Canadian collector/historian with Elton's drive to put out a book on Canadian made porcelain. The info is out there to be found, but the writing and publishing effort is huge. Folks like Elton G., Mark L., Don B. the Banks and the McDougalds are few and far between.
Anyone what to start a book? :)

Hope the western meet goes well .............. Robin
Robin Plewes

Postby 369reid » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:45 pm

Our Canadian guru on foreign mud, Bob Scafe, tells us, via ICON, that the piece is made in England by Bullers for use in Norway. Thanks Bob. Interesting to see that different threads are also used in Norway but made in England. Would they be the same as Aussie threads?
Canadian Insulators Rock
369reid

Next

Return to Hunts & Finds