Hunting up North

Here you can discuss any hunts or finds you may have made from the wild, auctions, shows, etc.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Hunting up North

Postby Shawn143 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:04 am

Had an opportunity to go up to Northern Ontario, near North Bay, for a weeks vacation. Besides the fact it snowed and went down to -5 Celsius at night, and if you want a bath, there's the lake, had a great time. And also climbed a pole or two at night and retrieved a few pieces of glass. If you can't see them, the poles I climbed had the pegs in them, si it wasn't as bad as you might think. Plus, in the dark, you can't see how high you are. :shock: Couldn't quite hoist myself up onto the crossarms, so a golf putter with a rubber end attached allowed me to turn the insulators off the pins, dropping them to the ground. Had to do it at night since the poles are right beside a road. Got a couple light green Diamond 152's and a Dominion 154 in a colour yet to be determined. Got a chip out of the wire groove though :( Plus, I picked up a couple other pieces at some shops on the way home for cheap. I'll post pics once they're clean. Also, walked a mile or 3 on the old Booth Line, the Ottawa Arnprior and Parry Sound. Did find an original pole but no glass. Also found an old privy site, but no diggin' there. Very scenic hike, and very narrow at times. We estimated that the right of way is about 25 feet wide through the rock.

Shawn143
Attachments
North 033.JPG
North 033.JPG (180.1 KiB) Viewed 10502 times
North 027.JPG
North 027.JPG (130.91 KiB) Viewed 10502 times
North 020.JPG
North 020.JPG (182.1 KiB) Viewed 10502 times
Shawn143

Re: Hunting up North

Postby Shawn143 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:07 am

A few more pics, the climbed pole, and an obviously old culvert on the Booth.
Attachments
North 032.JPG
North 032.JPG (140.72 KiB) Viewed 10501 times
North 047.JPG
North 047.JPG (109.62 KiB) Viewed 10501 times
North 046.JPG
North 046.JPG (56.32 KiB) Viewed 10501 times
Shawn143

Postby novascotiaglass » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:07 am

Good stuff, I was starting to wonder if anyone was getting out to hunt. I was wondering if anyone out there was doing night climbs, Ive never done it myself but I can imagine if there is no moon light that it would be pretty scary.

I've got out on a few hunts myself, ill post some pics and my stories at some point this weekend.

Glad to see you are out gathering some glass.

Jay
Glass Junkie....I need another fix
novascotiaglass

Postby CliMac » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:29 am

I do believe I recognize the locale of the 1st photo and have hunted there on several occasions. If I'm not mistaken, your photo is facing east and you can walk for miles before reaching the next road crossing. I've been in from both ends but there is a stretch in the middle I've not made it to yet. I've found a few intact insulators in there, but mostly shards which is typical for that line. I've likely probed around the pole in your 2nd photo. :)
CliMac

Postby CliMac » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:10 am

novascotiaglass wrote:I was starting to wonder if anyone was getting out to hunt.

Until last week, I haven't been out since probably the 1st week in July. I got out for a couple of hunts last week and found a few commons. I had my camera with me but both days it started to rain before I got to the line, so left it in the car and have nothing to post.
CliMac

Postby Barrett » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:30 am

I was starting to wonder if anyone ever does any hunting, either. Thanks for posting something, Shawn! We needed the silence to be broken!
I have been out hunting only once since autumn broke in late september. Although I did get out more often towards the latter half of the summer, I did have much luck turning up anything of interest. I have just been too busy with school, and other interests.
Thanks again for the post, Shawn... I may just try to get out this weekend. :)
Barrett

Postby Shawn143 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:19 pm

Hey Cliff, we started in Scotia and went East. If we had of gone West, we would of crossed the CN Line(the old Grand Trunk), where I climbed, and they had a mess of switchings and sidings. And going West we would of run into road construction.

Shawn
Shawn143

Postby CliMac » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:33 pm

Shawn143 wrote:And going West we would of run into road construction.

I don't think that's construction; just a backhoe that's been parked at the side of the trail in the same spot for about 2 months. But I haven't been up that way in a few weeks so maybe they started doing something. You can go west for miles from there before you hit a road (not counting highway 11 which has a tunnel under it) but the first half mile or so is really swampy. It used to be a lake before the Northern and Pacific Junction Railway (the present CN line) drained it to build their railway through it. Both lines became part of the GTR system and later CN but that stretch of the OA&PSR was abandoned in the 50s I think.
CliMac

Return to Hunts & Finds