Anyone looking for 200,000 insulators!

Here you can discuss any information or questions you have about insulators that don't seem to fit properly in the other sections of this forum. As well as any other type of insulator that doesn't have a place on this forum, such as radio strains and spools

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Anyone looking for 200,000 insulators!

Postby Brett Bloxam » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:24 pm

Not sure what to say - here's a link to a few insulators if anyone needs an extra 200,000 to add to their collection

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z409573353
Brett Bloxam

Re: Anyone looking for 200,000 insulators!

Postby cdnbeehive » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:43 pm

Ummm... I am speechless... unless this guy is planning on doing some wrecking in the area at some point!
cdnbeehive

Postby Shawn143 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:03 am

Insanity!!!! I'm sure someone will make the call to inquire. I'm sure those calls came in "Got any threadless"? When the answer is no, the interest is gone. I can't even fathom what dollar value they are expecting. Them there HBRs are nice though.....

Shawn
Shawn143

Postby cdnbeehive » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:56 am

I think he posted a generic picture of insulators he found online.

I am trying to reach the guy and maybe go have a look. Problem with 200,000 is that it is literally enough to fill a tractor-trailer. As for price, they could be worth nothing if they are all clear CD155's :)
cdnbeehive

Postby D Laframboise » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:09 am

I am wondering if this guy is the contractor tasked with wrecking out the pole line for the entire Chalk River sub. The location is Pembroke so I would almost have to say that this is likely the case. Maybe do some math on this... "X" miles x "X" poles per mile x "X" insulators per pole. The number "200,000" would likely be an estimate from the tender contract for the wrecking out of the line.
D Laframboise

Postby TedW » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:09 am

There were some interesting pieces on that line. I remember seeing a good deal of CANPACs, 133.2's, NE CAN 145's, and miscellaneous American glass (145, 154, 152). Billions of Dominion 155/154s though.
TedW

Postby cdnbeehive » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:46 am

Yes folks, it is exactly what you are thinking it is.

Only problem is the contractor has no clue what is good, and has dollar signs in his eyes.

In one week they completed Meath to Cobden and beyond. Expect them to hit Haleys this coming week, and Renfrew in another. And a word to the wise- do not try to foloow them and get pieces for nothing without asking. I tried this and was politely told to stop, and it is pretty clear he's not giving anything away. Anyone who has something in mind should get out there and wait for them to take it down. They will sell it on site to you. You can also keep a look out for their dump piles which will be located at easily accessible crossings every 10 to 20 miles apart (not at each crossing). They smash stuff up pretty good, but I did manage to get a few things with minimal damage from the first pile at the north end of the job.
cdnbeehive

Postby D Laframboise » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:05 pm

I guess I was right on the money! It's really too bad that we are going to lose a lot of decent insulators. Remember, there are only so many out there and their numbers in the wild continue to dwindle. I guess it would be impossible to entertain the contractor in a "pick you own" purchase from them. Liability issues would likely be the biggest hurdle. Time is money to them and the value of most of the insulators would not warrant them to carefully save those as they went along. Unfortunately to us, once they're damaged they have pretty much lost most of their value.

I was thinking of contacting them to pick and purchase from the piles. Does anyone know how much he wants per insulator? I'm about 2 hours drive from there so I would want it to be worth my while. What's the chance of finding stuff in the piles that's good and not damaged? I don't think I could stand the heartbreak of finding so many good insulators ruined by breakage! As far as being there on site when they take out a particular pole, I don't if many of us would have the time. I'm sure they work Mon-Fri which is also what most other people work as well. It would have to be something really special ($100+ value) to make it worthwhile and I don't know if there are many of these on this line.

I also thought of possibly getting cross-arms as well. I need more for displays and I also thought about possibly reselling them. I was thinking of renting a cube van and filling it up with cross-arms. I don't know how much they would want for them and I'm not sure how easy they would be to resell. In any case, it would probably cost a few hundred $ to rent the van + gas. They may also be cutting the cross-arms off the poles in which case kills that idea.

Has anyone ever done any "on the ground" hunting on this line and had any success? Maybe after wrecking is complete and hopefully turned into a rec trail there will still be good hunting opportunities on this line.

Darcy
D Laframboise

Postby cdnbeehive » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Darcy,

I have never found anything good on the ground. Exactly the same thing with the VIA line east of Ottawa. People came up here specifically to pick those lines, and got everything on the ground too. The contractor has penetrated the soil around each pole as well, and there is nothing left. Once the line is completely vacated, there is a good opportunity to hunt for threadless on the other side.

Here is how the contractor is proceeding:

1. They take a backhoe down a new section, partially cutting the piles of ballast placed to keep cars out. Same backhoe goes to each pole site and pushes some ballast down to the pole and scrapes out the vegetation around it.

2. A mobile lift goes along and two guys go up in the bucket, unscrew the glass and either keep it in the bucket or place it in a recycle bin. Every 5 poles or so they place the undamaged stuff on the ground and when the recyle bin is full they dump it into a larger pile. After inscrewing the glass they grab the wires and drop them. At crossings one guy stops traffic while the guy in the bucket snips the wires. Guy stopping traffic pulls the wires off the road.

3. The foreman drives his pickup down the line and collects the good stuff and tosses the other stuff in his box. At the same time he reels in the wires and throws them in the back.

4. Guys in an ATV use a chainsaw to cut the poles and let them fall towards the trackbed. A backhoe drags them and piles them every 5 to 10 poles. Crossarms are still on at this point.

5. Someone in a truck collects the poles, not sure about crossarms coming off or not.

Chris

cdnbeehive

Postby cdnbeehive » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:01 pm

Also, the piles can be dissapointing. There were a lot of heartbreakers in the first one, including an olive B beehive and an olive Brookie 164. They also wrecked some sweet slug plates.
cdnbeehive

Next

Return to Insulator Related Topics