insulator pins

Here you can discuss any information or questions you have about insulators that don't seem to fit properly in the other sections of this forum. As well as any other type of insulator that doesn't have a place on this forum, such as radio strains and spools

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

insulator pins

Postby poorboy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:59 pm

Where can one get pins for two piece transpositions such as lower and top hemingray D-50. Can you buy them or would I have to get them custom made. I would like to be able to screw them together for display.This is probably a stupid question but I am just starting so will probably have a lot of them :oops:
poorboy

Re: insulator pins

Postby Shawn143 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:13 pm

You should be able to some pins from other collectors at the Drumheller show. You'll need to cut them down to the threads only, about 3 inches(8 cm). If I was there, I'd give you a couple for free, but alas, I live 1400 miles away, as the crow flies.

Shawn
Shawn143

Postby poorboy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:16 am

Shawn143 wrote:You should be able to some pins from other collectors at the Drumheller show. You'll need to cut them down to the threads only, about 3 inches(8 cm). If I was there, I'd give you a couple for free, but alas, I live 1400 miles away, as the crow flies.

Shawn

Hey that would make for a great road trip :lol: ,but seriously thanks for the offer and the info. My wife and I just purchased her father's collection(estate sale) which has over 1150 insulators and has been in storage for over 10 years so I am starting to sort through them in my spare time(which is very short) and finding interesting things. This is a fascinating hobby.
poorboy

Postby poorboy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:05 pm

Shawn143 wrote:You should be able to some pins from other collectors at the Drumheller show. You'll need to cut them down to the threads only, about 3 inches(8 cm). If I was there, I'd give you a couple for free, but alas, I live 1400 miles away, as the crow flies.

Shawn

I just reread your reply and I think you misunderstood my original post or I may not have explained it properly. The pins I need are for a CD190/191 which has larger than normal size thread on the bottom(approx. 1.375'') and smaller than normal(approx 1") on the top. Therefore it would have to be a step pin. Does such a thing exist?
poorboy

Postby magic170 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:30 pm

Standard pins were used for 2 piece insulators.
magic170

Postby poorboy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:33 pm

magic170 wrote:Standard pins were used for 2 piece insulators.

Thanks. I will see if I can buy some at the show on Saturday.
poorboy

Postby Shawn143 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:44 pm

Gordon, actually you are right, as you can see, the pin I have in my 190/191 Diamond is tapered, as most pins probably are. It is loose in the bottom piece about halfway up, but the other half threads into place as the taper thickens.
1150 insulators??? Wow, you should be finding something interesting, different, or unique in there.

Shawn
Attachments
pin 008.JPG
pin 008.JPG (73.48 KiB) Viewed 11930 times
Shawn143

Postby poorboy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:37 am

Shawn.
Does the taper bottom out in the 190 top? If so could a person cut it off so it threaded in further thus being able to thread the bottom down further making it a tighter fit as well?
I will take a set of 190/191 along on saturday and see what happens.
Also I have a 304/310 hemingray that I wouldn't mind finding a pin for to keep them together for display. That's about the only really interesting piece I have come across so far but it is chipped in both pieces so not of any value but still a nice conversation piece.
poorboy

Postby Shawn143 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:01 pm

With this pin, it snugs up tight, top and bottom. There's a good chance someone with a table at the show will have a 190/191 and you can check out their pin and it's fit. The top of my pin pretty well screw right up to the end of the thread in the top piece, and the bottom piece snugs because of the wide part of the taper. Trust me, if you have the right pin, it'll all be good.
As for the Hemi 304/310, the wood pin for that set would be a standard thread, but would have to be significantly longer to fit inside the 310 sleeve. I'm thinking that the sleeve would fit over the threaded pin loosely, then the 304 would screw on and tighten everything up once butted against the sleeve. These Hemi pieces don't show up in Canada as much as they do in the US, but I think people universally like them just based on the sheer size of them. Good luck at the show.

Shawn
Shawn143

Postby poorboy » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:48 am

Thanks for your help Shawn. My wife and I are looking forward to tomorrows show but we are somewhat nervous being new to this and very green. I am sure it will be a very educational day for both of us.
poorboy

Next

Return to Insulator Related Topics