Thanks for the new forum!

Post any topics related to the use of this forum or any problems you have, or any success stories!

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Thanks for the new forum!

Postby Lee S. » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:38 pm

I just have a couple of suggestions, take 'em or leave 'em :D

1. The threaded CD #s are split into three different forums, i.e.

Canadian CDs 102 - 144
Canadian CDs 145 - 164
Canadian CDs 190 - 252

The first forum covers a dozen different CD #s, the second covers 7 or so, the last forum just two different CD #s. Since the Canadian CDs 190 - 252 forum on the last site didn't get a single post, why not merge the last two together, i.e. Canadian CDs 145 - 252? Or would a single "Canadian Threaded" forum be enough?

2. Can we have a forum dedicated to history/research? Without it, important posts just seem to get buried in the general "Insulator Related Topics" forum and become difficult to find.

Lee.
Lee S.

Re: Thanks for the new forum!

Postby novascotiaglass » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:48 am

I have a suggestion as well.

The old forum had the "Show unread posts since last visit" option. It may be on this fourm as well and I am not seeing it I am not sure. It is a great feature and I used it every single time I logged in on the old forum. Its great becasue I would never miss any posts by accident. Can we keep this option around?
Glass Junkie....I need another fix
novascotiaglass

Postby CliMac » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:37 am

Jay, here's a link which will list all topics posted to within the last week: Canadian Forum, Last 7 Days. You can right click on this and save as a favourite or bookmark. This performs a similar function to what you asked for except that if you go in and read something and don't have time to reply right away, you can easily find it again in a later session.

PS. Here's a link to search for new posts: Canadian Forum, New Posts. This one seems to return the latest post even if you read it but might do approximately what you asked.
CliMac

Postby Hemingray » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:53 am

CliMac wrote:Jay, here's a link which will list all topics posted to within the last week: Canadian Forum, Last 7 Days.

On the bottom of most pages is this tool bar:
posts.gif
posts.gif (2.58 KiB) Viewed 20009 times

Select the options, and you get a list.
Hemingray

Postby Hemingray » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:39 am

Also, on the main screen when you first come to the forum, there is a

View unanswered posts • View new posts • View active topics

set of options.
Hemingray

Postby Alex » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:58 pm

Can we add an off topic forum?
Alex

Postby Hemingray » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:57 pm

Alex wrote:Can we add an off topic forum?

I STRONGLY discourage the addition of the "off topic" forum. Otherwise we are opening this up for a complete hodge-podge of material, and who is to say what is appropriate and what isn't? ... Having that forum be specifically listed would encourage use of it and point out that we truly accept anything on this forum... Who might join, and what might they post? I don't think that's the purpose...

Perhaps I'm slightly paranoid, but I do know that once you create something, it's much harder to take it away. If we don't go there, we don't have that problem... If you don't make some attempt to keep the forum focused...

If you have a really off-topic post, I'm sure there are dozens or hundreds or more appropriate forum to post it in.

Imagine if we opened up ICON to "off topics" as well? ... and publicized that it was OK to post them? ...

Yes, I'm sure if one person posted something off topic, but not "way" off topic, we'd accept it. But let's not make it a practice, and promote it by having such a forum to place them into...
Hemingray

Postby Alex » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:43 pm

Hemingray wrote:I STRONGLY discourage the addition of the "off topic" forum. Otherwise we are opening this up for a complete hodge-podge of material, and who is to say what is appropriate and what isn't? ... Having that forum be specifically listed would encourage use of it and point out that we truly accept anything on this forum... Who might join, and what might they post? I don't think that's the purpose...

I do believe the whole idea is to use it for non-insulator related stuff you want to talk to your insulator buddies about. Why should you sign up to an automotive forum I'm on to use the general topic area? Did you see anything that turned you off at Canadian Insulators in the off topic forum? Its not highly used, but something that is usable when necessary.

I don't think you are going to attract any portion of non-insulator people to an insulator forum by having a place for off topic topics.

Imagine if we opened up ICON to "off topics" as well? ... and publicized that it was OK to post them? ...

ICON is a mailing list is it not? Different animal where EVERY post ends up in a persons mailbox, unlike a forum where topics are grouped into appropriate areas, and the user chooses if they wish to look at a topic.

Yes, I'm sure if one person posted something off topic, but not "way" off topic, we'd accept it. But let's not make it a practice, and promote it by having such a forum to place them into...

10-4.

Alex.
Alex

Postby Hemingray » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:00 pm

I do agree with most of what you said. It can potentially cause problems. I suspect with the group we currently have on the forum, it probably will not. I suspect we are all pretty well behaved, and my comments did not mean to apply that the current group would abuse it. I didn't look at the "off topic" forum in the other forum.

If it starts to get a large number of posts or if there is an issue, I guess we can zap it.

How about "Miscellaneous Topics" rather than something as explicit as "Off topic"? Since we have an "Insulator Related Topics" topic, this is the non-Insulators topic...

or perhaps just "Non Insulator Related Topics"? sounds a little more toned down than "Off Topic"...

Well, I'll defer picking of the name to the admin Ricky!

I admit I have wanted to ask ICON a non-insulator related topic from time to time, and I have... Marked it off topic in the subject. Ask the collective "brain trust" of ICON about something...

We can give it a try...
Hemingray

Postby ohiosulator » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:34 pm

forum looks great, Thanks Bill!

but whats with the avatar at 6KB. Any pics I have thats small enough I cant upload.
ohiosulator

Next

Return to Forum Information