Picture Upload Test

Post any topics related to the use of this forum or any problems you have, or any success stories!

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Picture Upload Test

Postby CliMac » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:58 am

Just thought I'd try out the photo upload by posting one of my favourite 143s.

Is there a way for the photo to be displayed in it's entirety, eliminating the scroll bar?

GNW Wire.jpg
GNW Wire.jpg (83.11 KiB) Viewed 8214 times
Last edited by CliMac on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CliMac

Re: Picture Upload Test

Postby Hemingray » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:06 am

CliMac wrote:Just thought I'd try out the photo upload by posting one of my favourite 143s. Is there a way for the photo to be displayed in it's entirety, eliminating the scroll bar?

If you click on it, you will see the whole photo. Also, when you upload it, there is an option for "Place inline" or something similar. That will put in the whole picture.

There are some image settings that do need to be tweaked. There is an option to resize larger pictures, and have a smaller thumbnail displayed. When you click that you get the whole picture.

When a topic gets filled up with lots of big pictures it can take awhile to load it.

You should be able to edit your post, and delete the picture (see information at the bottom of the post that deals with pictures. They you can try the upload clicking the "Place Inline" option. Give that a try.
Hemingray

Postby CliMac » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:30 am

Hemingray wrote:
CliMac wrote:Just thought I'd try out the photo upload by posting one of my favourite 143s. Is there a way for the photo to be displayed in it's entirety, eliminating the scroll bar?
Also, when you upload it, there is an option for "Place inline" or something similar.

The 'place inline' option doesn't appear until after you've uploaded the attachment. The above photo is 'placed inline'. I will see what happens with an img tag.

Much better, but would require the photo to be uploaded, copy the url, then cancel the post, start a new one containing the img tag.
CliMac

Postby Hemingray » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:59 am

CliMac wrote:Much better, but would require the photo to be uploaded, copy the url, then cancel the post, start a new one containing the img tag.

You never need to use the img tag. When making your post, select "Upload Attachment" and browse for the file. Click "Add the file", this is before you [Submit] the post.

There are different ways to do this, and some admin controls that relate to file size, and if it should go inline or not. You definitely don't need to cancel the post. Note that you can upload the file while you are still editing the post. I suspect you submitted it (which will upload any files not uploaded) rather than uploading the file first, so you can control where it is inserted in the post.

I'm going to move this section of posts into the "Forum Information" section so we can continue a discussion of how to post images, rather than have it in this topic. Be a good test of the system :)
Hemingray

Postby CliMac » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:29 pm

Hemingray wrote:You never need to use the img tag. When making your post, select "Upload Attachment" and browse for the file. Click "Add the file", this is before you [Submit] the post.

That's what I did, except I always preview before I submit.

Hemingray wrote:I suspect you submitted it (which will upload any files not uploaded) rather than uploading the file first, so you can control where it is inserted in the post.

I did not do that but I doubt it would make a difference if I had. If you put the picture inline, you can move the attachment tag around anywhere you want on a subsequent edit as I did on my original post (photo was originally between 2 lines of text).

Hemingray wrote:You definitely don't need to cancel the post.

Canceling the post allows you to upload the picture without attaching it to a post. Before you cancel, you copy the url to the photo. By doing this you can start another post and link to your photo with an img tag and no scroll bar. If you didn't cancel the post, and then added an img tag you'd have 2 copies of the photo displayed, 1 with a scroll bar and one without.

I did however, miss this comment from your previous post: :oops:

Hemingray wrote:If you click on it, you will see the whole photo.

Now that I know that, I doubt I will bother with the rather complicated method above. :)
CliMac

Return to Forum Information