Canadian Porcelain Makers

Here you can discuss anything related to Canadian porcelain insulators.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Canadian Porcelain Makers

Postby Shawn143 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:04 am

Just a quick and hopefully simple question. How many Canadian porcelain insulator makers were there? Obviously there's the most well known, CP, but who else? Asking because someone offered to sell me a light blue unipart that was used on a 45,000 volt line. They only used the blue ones for two blocks, so he thinks it's rare and worthy of a big price. I saw no makers mark on it, but on top of one 'ear' was printed "Manufactured in 1927" in dark blue. I explained to him just because they only used them for two blocks here doesn't mean that thousands more weren't produced for other communities. Might as well of been talking to a tree. I did not have my digital with me or I'd get a pic, but I could get ahold of him if I need to. Being an ex-lineman, who knows what he might have, overpriced or otherwise. I don't know the 'U' numbers but would a style/size help things out? Thanks in advance.....

Shawn
Shawn143

Re: Canadian Porcelain Makers

Postby Robin Plewes » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:57 am

Hi:
While I don't know about the date marked blue piece, I can add that Medalta Potteries made insulators in Alberta. I'm pretty sure their items stayed out west though.
Many US made porcelain pieces have been found up here. Locke, Thomas, Ohio Brass, Hessco, Imperial and others. Sorry I can't add more.
Robin
Robin Plewes

Postby daverosy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Here's a salesman sample I found in a junk store a while back.

The tag reads HAMILTON PORCELAINS LIMITED BRANTFORD, ONTARIO

On the back written in pencil is #9 pony insulators.
Attachments
P4293087.jpg
P4293087.jpg (105.19 KiB) Viewed 9458 times
Canadian glass is COOL!
daverosy

Postby daverosy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:59 pm

Oh hey Robin!
I have 2 colours of Medalta ponies, the brown and greyish cream. The classic Medalta colours. Are there any others?

Also Medalta made those beehives with the hole (tube) in the top. kinda strange pieces.

Cheers,
Dave.
Canadian glass is COOL!
daverosy

Postby Robin Plewes » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:23 am

G'day Dave:
Sorry about the delay in posting.
Those sound like the two main colors I'm familer with from Medalta.
The beehives with the wire through the dome came in two colors also. The brown one is quite dark according to the pics I've seen.
Have a good one .......... Robin
Robin Plewes

Postby Barrett » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:33 pm

Hey, Shawn!

By the sound of it, the insulator he's found is not Canadian. The characteristic light blue colour, and the date of manufacture stamp point towards that unipart being a Jeffrey-Dewitt manufactured piece. The insulators were manufactured in West Virginia, by the looks of it. Here's a few photos:

http://www.insulators.info/pictures/?id=171238679
http://www.insulators.info/pictures/?id=77056448
http://www.insulators.info/pictures/?id=260115606

As far as rarity or value goes, the uniparts seem to command some value, as J-D products are not common in the grand scheme of power insulators. I am not sure just how common they are. Not very much so in Canada, that's for certain!
Barrett

Return to Canadian Porcelain