Lima M2640 from the Yukon

Here you can discuss anything related to Canadian porcelain insulators.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Lima M2640 from the Yukon

Postby speleausmining » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:21 pm

Another one out of the big lot I bought recently. I am not much of a porcelain guy but I do come across them and some are neat enough to keep. The only other porcelain of note so far was a small Lock U4 in dark brown. I was happy when I looked this one up and found it had a book value many times what I paid for the lot. Its really been a good lot of insulators with some really nice glass and of course this nice multipart.
Lima.jpg
Lima.jpg (84.35 KiB) Viewed 8240 times
lock.jpg
lock.jpg (42.87 KiB) Viewed 8240 times
speleausmining

Re: Lima M2640 from the Yukon

Postby TedW » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:49 pm

Nice piece. Is the 2640 marked?
TedW

Postby speleausmining » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:18 pm

Sadly its not marked. But given the geographical location it was found and the measurements I am about 95% sure its a Lima mfg piece. The different coloured glazes on the umbrella and base are nice too.
speleausmining

Postby TedW » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:58 am

Nice for sure, love those early pieces. Book value even on the unmarked units is pretty decent as far as multiparts go too. Let me know if you'd be interested in letting it go, I'd love to add to my ever expanding collection of cemented multiparts.
TedW

Postby cdnbeehive » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:55 pm

I never noticed this guy's post before, but said insulator ended up in my collection after he died about a year ago. His collection was sold at auction and I got a few items last fall. At the Perth show this year I sold it to one of the regular attendees.

From what I heard, he died at age 29 and was an Afghan war vet. The official story is that he died on a hike.

Chris
cdnbeehive

Postby Chris Minicola » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:42 am

I saw the auction listing last fall. I meant to post something about his passing. His name was Jon Allison and he died way too young. The story I heard was he fell off a mountain. He sure was an interesting guy with lots of varied interest including steam engines, prospecting, insulators, etc. I wish I had a chance to get to know him at one of the shows, but I don't think he ever attended one. His estate sale looked more like something you would have expected from someone who was 80 or 90 years old. I remember he had at least one threadless beehive with skirt damage. I talked to Jack Hayes at the Perth show and he got a few pieces from the auction too.
Chris Minicola

Return to Canadian Porcelain