U-1130 C.N.R. Brown Glaze

Here you can discuss anything related to Canadian porcelain insulators.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

U-1130 C.N.R. Brown Glaze

Postby gerrypocha » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:04 pm

Hello again! anyone have any info on these. it seems to me a bunch of these were found a number of years ago. I heard from bill rosato (pennsylvania) that a huge number of these were dumped and buried otside of winnipeg back in the day. Apparently these pieces all had faulty threads making them unusable on a pin. these dont seem to that around in collections(that i know of).anyone care to weigh in on this. :|
gerrypocha

Re: U-1130 C.N.R. Brown Glaze

Postby Fossulator » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Are these the ones that have, instead of regular threads, what looks more like a stack of rings, as though it was threaded with a comb
Fossulator

Postby gerrypocha » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Yes thats the one! i recall a photograph of that somewhere, i just cant remember from what magazine. this is the type 20 mold in Lauckners Canadian Railway Communications Insulators 1880-1920.
gerrypocha

Postby Fossulator » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:37 pm

Fossulator

Postby gerrypocha » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:26 am

Wow! there it is . thanks so much for that information kevin. It seems that these might have been transition pieces from the threadless- threaded era.! i guess these might have been self threading , (on a threadless pin ) ,much like some people have suggested the 143 double threaded were intended to be used. it seems that might be too old for a GNR marked insulator though. any comments on this. thanks again!
gerrypocha

Postby Lee S. » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:31 pm

Hi Gerry,

These insulators are mentioned here:
http://insulatorscanada.com/forums/show ... php?t=3072

It seems they also made an appearance in the Power Line Explorer Journal Volume %, #1 Fall 2003 issue, does anyone know what was said in this article?
http://www.insulators.info/photos/plej/v05-1.htm

Lee.
Lee S.

Postby gerrypocha » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:23 pm

Wow,that was a very well researched article on canadian porcelain! ill have to say i learned more than a few things there. the author states that he beleives the type-20 CNR to be of later vintage(1920s). if true that would rule it out as a replacement insulator for the older threadless types. thanks for tha additional info.Lee! now if someone has one in there collection it would be nice to see! :D
gerrypocha

Postby Robin Plewes » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:30 pm

Hi All:
I would also agree that these are not old enough to be threadless replacements. A few were found under an Ontario station platform a few years ago. They were probably dumped there for the same reason they were dumped in Manitoba.
The "threads" are a bit like a ring nail. They would not thread onto a pin so far as I could figure, rather a press fit and hope for the best. My guess is that the company that made these wanted to get away from the hassle of threading insulators. If they could get away with a simple comb swip in the unfired pinhole .... it would be a great time saver in terms of production etc.
Robin
Robin Plewes

Return to Canadian Porcelain