Translucent Green Unembossed CD-740

Here you can discuss anything related to Canadian threadless insulators.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Translucent Green Unembossed CD-740

Postby Barrett » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Hey, all!

Just to inspire those who are having a difficult time remembering that there is still an awful lot of good stuff out there to be found, here's a piece I recently picked up from an older fellow who used to roam the eastern townships of rural quebec looking for antiques and buying unclaimed storage units. I got a call from him saying he had caught wind of my insulator collecting hobby and said he had a couple crates of the pieces in storage, and said he'd give me a call back when he had located them. I was amazed about a week later when he actually called me back and said I could stop by and check them out!

I walked into the house and introduced myself to the fellow - a pretty disheveled guy wearing a plaid shirt, steel toed boots (indoors) with long, unkempt hair, a heavily lined face and a deep, gruff voice - and he indicated that the box of insulators was sitting "over there" on the floor. All the while he was smoking a cigarette, and a glass of what looked like some sort of mixed drink was sitting nearby (keep in mind this is in the morning). The room had a lot of junk strewn about and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in about a decade. I took a glance at the crate of insulators, a black coloured milk crate, and at first glance didn't see much of anything to report - a bunch of chipped Dominion - 42s. That first impression lasted about 2 seconds, at which point I noticed this piece sitting right on top of the Dominions, in plain sight:

740 - No Embossing Canada - Dark Green #1.jpg
740 - No Embossing Canada - Dark Green #1.jpg (102.07 KiB) Viewed 6658 times

740 - No Embossing Canada - Dark Green #2.jpg
740 - No Embossing Canada - Dark Green #2.jpg (125.28 KiB) Viewed 6658 times

A dark green unembossed Canadian CD-740. The colour is beautifully transparent, even in low light conditions. Suffice it to say, I bought the piece for a very reasonable price, on the condition that I took the entire crate. This I happily did, as I am always looking for milk crates to keep terribly common insulators in. Most of the other insulators in the crate went into the recycling bin, but this one went right to the top shelf. I spent the better part of an hour talking to the fellow, who turned out to be a pretty nice and extremely interesting fellow.
After picking up the insulators, it was on to taking a ride on board a vintage c. 1929 Canadian Pacific superintendant's car on an Ontario Southland shortline trip - a pretty amazing day!

Keep looking, guys - they are still out there!

OSR #1.jpg
OSR #1.jpg (254.1 KiB) Viewed 6657 times
Barrett

Re: Translucent Green Unembossed CD-740

Postby Chris Minicola » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:01 am

Awesome find Barrett. The train trip looks pretty cool too.
Chris Minicola

Postby 369reid » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:12 pm

Great find, Barrett. Outstanding colour.
Canadian Insulators Rock
369reid

Postby Barrett » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:14 am

Thanks, guys! :)
Barrett

Return to Canadian Threadless