Crazy price on Ebay

Here you can discuss anything related to Canadian threadless insulators.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Crazy price on Ebay

Postby Chris Minicola » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:35 pm

Spied this a few days ago and kept an eye on it since it's fairly local to me. I thought I'd bid if it didn't go too crazy. Guess what - it went crazy for what I considered a $100 insulator at best:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &viewitem=

Someone must know something that I don't. :lol:
Chris Minicola

Re: Crazy price on Ebay

Postby gerrypocha » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:52 pm

Looks kind of dark for an aqua though,maybe its just a hazy sapphire blue :D
gerrypocha

Postby Chris Minicola » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:16 pm

It's possible I guess. I noticed all the pictures look like they were taken with flash - that always makes insulators look much darker than they actually are. I've got at least 3 742's in this condition and close to this colour, two of them I bought for $75, the other was found in the wild. I'd be interested to see more pictures, maybe someone on this site bought it?
Chris Minicola

Postby gerrypocha » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:24 pm

Yea, probably just the flash. aqua 742s are like the Dominion 42s of the threadless world,they dont get no respect. I know if i personally dug any whole threadless I could never sell it for 100 bucks, that just seems crazy.They sure are a lot harder to get than say a Royal Purple tramp which sells for about the same amount :)
gerrypocha

Postby novascotiaglass » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:43 pm

I've been watching a lot of CD 742's in the past year. I don't find the price surprising at all. A lot of them have been selling in the $125-200 range, and most have been light aqua/aqua. So not surprised to see this one with a little better colour bring that much.

Not sure what will happen in the next price guide, insulators have been sky rocketing in the past couple of years. Try and buy a piece that lists for $100+ on the eplace for book value or lower, it is tough. With the exception of a few pieces ofcourse, such as the CD113 Braille, you can pick one up well below book price pretty easily it seems. Anything threadless though, hold on for the ride of where it is going to go.

I have probably bid on 5 pieces in the last year and went over book value on all of them and didn't even come close. I am not an avid bidder (like to get my glass close to home) but I do watch the trends, and right now it's a sellers market for sure.

My 2 cents

Jason
Glass Junkie....I need another fix
novascotiaglass

Postby gerrypocha » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:04 pm

I paid 175 bucks for my light aqua 742 about 10 years ago, it had chipping around most of the base which seems typical for these. Thank goodness for that Wire cache discovery of those Mcmikings so many years ago. I remember looking through advertisements in old Crown Jewels of the Wire magazines. Before that big find Mcmickings were rare and sold for $350! Maybe these are the only affordable threadless left to us collectors(for a while)
gerrypocha

Postby Chris Minicola » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:14 pm

I guess I'm thinking more in terms of insulator shows and swaps with other collectors. Generally, aqua, dark aqua or blue aqua would not go that high in that condition. Yet another reason to avoid Ebay like the plague!
Chris Minicola

Postby magic170 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:56 pm

I was watching this one and though 150-400 on it I now a rather large spread but the pictures are hard to tell the colour I never asked for additional pictures if i was intrested I might have but It didnt really look like aqua to me.

Craig
magic170

Postby cdnbeehive » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:33 pm

When I get it in the mail, I'll try to get some decent pictures of it.

I took a bit of a gamble on it in the hopes it's more of a teal than aqua!

:lol:
cdnbeehive

Postby gerrypocha » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:21 am

Hey cdnbeehive! did you get that 742 in the mail?,would like to see how it turned out for you :)
gerrypocha

Next

Return to Canadian Threadless