Dominion 42 two tone

Here you can discuss anything related to Canadian CDs 145, 152, 154, 155, 162, 162.4 & 164 as well as other CDs between these.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Dominion 42 two tone

Postby gerrypocha » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:27 pm

hello everyone! I just received a dominion 42 in a light peach-light green 2-tone in a trade from another local collector. (i wont divulge his identity but his first name is Jerry) im sorry for some reason ive been unable to post a picture on my computer. anyways my question is does anyone have any thoughts on how uncommon these are or where they were found or used. i traded a light yellow dominion 42 for this piece which i thought was fair ..Gerry
gerrypocha

Re: Dominion 42 two tone

Postby magic170 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:58 pm

To many collectors in toon with a name ending in erry. One of them added a beyond killer 145 this week man i just missed that one. Also wonders if that killer diamond pony katfish sold is coming north.

As for the 2 tone greens I believe there was a group of these found in Ontario somewhere I know I don't have one yet. Glad I am not really a hard core 154 collector i have been told it can get to the point that one will actually start counting there drip points now that is bizarre.

Craig
magic170

Postby gerrypocha » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:40 pm

Hi Craig! thanks for that info on the two-tone 154s, a really stunning piece if not a bit subtle.I saw the swirled GNW 145 right about the time that it went on icon.I tried to send the guy an e-mail which failed. I sat there for about an hour watching the hits pile up thinking well its only a matter of time before that gets snapped up. i was looking for one of those really badly knowing they rarely come up for sale so it was very frustrating. phoned my buddy Jerry Markewich across town and asked him if he would try on my behalf.long story short by the next day not only had he secured the piece for me he sent a money order for me also! lets just say its good to have friends!
gerrypocha

Postby magic170 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:54 pm

Yeah i really liked that one. If u ever want to trade it I might have a 143 you could be intrested in :). Yes mr. markewich is a good cat.
magic170

Postby matthew » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:06 am

No, I did not get that group of expensive ponies, they probably went to the same fellow who paid 81 bucks for the amber pony with the backward 5.
I guess it is about time that I defend myself for the fine art of counting drip points on the lowly Dominion-42. Many of the colors usually appear with a certain number of drip points. The ambers, teals, grey greens have either 30 or 31, the clears have 32 and the SDP's have 33, etc. If I know how many drip points that a Dominion-42 has ,I can usually pin point the color fairly accurately. Recently I went against my better judgement and purchased a "teal" green with 38 drips from another collector and ended up with a $65.00 light green.Hell of a bargin. I haven't started counting the tiny drips on the nunbered ponies yet, I will leave that task up to the pony experts.
Jerry.
matthew

Postby magic170 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:16 am

The set of 5 ponies actually went for a relatively good price i bid up to 285.00 on it that was over my limit but really wanted them and value it closer to 400.00 beans. I have finally finished the basement renos so hopefully in the next couple months i will have figured out what I need to build shelving wise and will get on it I need to display about 500-600 pieces so need quite abit shelving.

I will have a closer look at my small 154 collection to make sure i dont have any of these 2 tones how easy is it to see the two tone is it really noticeable.
magic170

Postby matthew » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:05 am

The two-tone green/peach Dominions do not show up that readily, the best way to find them would be to hold them up against a white background. I find a piece of white flannel in sunlight works the best to locate those babies. I find that the yellow ambers that are advertised for sale as 2-tones usually appear that way because the glass in the tops is much thicker than the skirts causing the tops to appear much darker than the skirts. On the other hand, the lighter ones usually contain darker swirls.
I know that some American made 154's were used in Canada, the Hemingrays, Gayners and Lynchburgs. Has anyone ever found Mclaughlins or Wittle Tatums that were actually used here rather migrated here via eBay?
Jerry
matthew

Postby gerrypocha » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:29 am

There are lots of good pictures of these two-tones on the old CIC site, it seems like there are more than a few out there.i dont think an experienced collector would overlook these if he was specifically checking over his collection,but on a pole or if they were dirty,good luck they would be harder to spot than the yellows! :)
gerrypocha

Postby Robin Plewes » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:29 pm

Hi All:
The best way to spot a two tone Dominion in my experiance, is to put the insulator on a piece of white paper. Pick a spot ( say 9:00 o'clock ) and rotate the insulator while looking downwards at the 9:00 o'clock position. If the color changes as you rotate the insulator, then you have a two tone piece. This is best done in good light, but not sunlight.
Yellow and orange amber two tones are easier to spot as the color separation is usually greater. Some times you can see amber swirling in the skirt by looking through the skirt from the inside against a white background.
A verticle color separation is much rarer than a horizontal separation, for those who get into detail ;)
Looking sidways at an insulator is not the best way to spot a two tone, as the glass thickness can mess with one's color preception etc.
There are a couple of two tone shades in the lt green / straw / peach color combinations.

Think I have a spare if anyone is interested. :?:

Good collecting in 2011 :!: .......... Robin
Robin Plewes

Postby gerrypocha » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:29 am

Hi Robin! Do you have any two-tone ambers in your collection. I know most 2-tones in the amber spectrum are just differences in the thickness of the glass(skirts are lighter then the dome).Having said that i know the are some true 2-tone orange amber that are really true 2-tones. would love to see a picture of one of these...Gerry
gerrypocha

Next

Return to Canadian CDs 145 - 252