Those great ol' Slope Shoulders!

Here you can discuss anything related to Canadian CDs 102, 106, 115, 121, 133.2, 143, as well as other CDs between these.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Those great ol' Slope Shoulders!

Postby Barrett » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:46 pm

Hello to all!

While I haven't really had much time to chime on here as often as I'd like, I have been following all the activity. There have been some great posts! I have been hoping to contribute a few more, so here's my first post in a long while!
The CD-133.2 slope shoulder is not a style that turns up too often in really any part of Canada. Even where they were used the most, these seem to only turn up in moderate numbers. Personally, I have found even the remains from no more than a half dozen examples in my 10 years of collecting and hunting. Apparently the London area is not exactly a hot spot for the style, but a recent find which Kyle and I were lucky enough to partake in opened my eyes to the presence of some very nice examples having been used none to far from home!
Kyle and I were both fortunate enough to know a particularly nice older fellow from the London area through a small, S.W. Ontario antique bottle collecting club. This fellow is the classic older antique collector - the guys who really have an appreciation for everything and anything, not like us young whipper-snappers that collect a hundred bajillion of one thing and eventually run out of room to keep them all. This guy had some of everything, and most of it relevant from a local history point of view. Unfortunately this fellow passed away last year. A member of our club and a friend of the family was entrusted with the collection in exchange for a cash sum, and was soon underway dividing up and selling its contents. Kyle and I were among the first individuals to be invited to see the collection, and make an offer on anything we were interested in.
When we first walked into the door of the shed containing the majority of the collection, I was immediately excited at seeing a reasonable number of purple telephone styles, a carnival pyrex 235, and a few other mid price-range Canadian pieces. It's funny, because most of the insulators in the collection were boxed up, and I am sure the owner had no idea of which ones were significant with the exception of the purple and carnival glass examples. Sitting on the floor adjacent to some SDP Brookfield 102s, Dominion 42s, and a couple porcelain pieces was the piece in the attached photo. Suffice it to say that I was absolutely floored to have the chance to add such a fantastic piece to the collection, so that is exactly what I did. A price was agreed upon for all the insulators in the collection, and before long I was packing up the few dozen insulators along with a few other pieces that Kyle or I had had our eyes on.
The key insulator from the collection is a doozy. The piece is a very dark and extremely vibrant shade of yellow green. Certainly not a piece I ever expected to turn up, and a very rare colouration for this style.
If anyone has any other especially nifty CD-133.2 Unembossed Canadian slope shoulders to show, please post them in this thread! Hopefully we can arrange for a nearly complete spectrum of various rare coloured Canadian slope shoulders!
All the best, and as always - thanks for listening. :P
Attachments
133.2 - No Embossing Canada - Dark Yellow Green.jpg
133.2 - No Embossing Canada - Dark Yellow Green.jpg (45.64 KiB) Viewed 16232 times
Barrett

Re: Those great ol' Slope Shoulders!

Postby magic170 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:01 pm

Oh wow Barrett that is a colour I would die for in my 133.2 line up thanks for sharing here are a couple of my 133.2
Attachments
40.JPG
40.JPG (107.63 KiB) Viewed 16227 times
36.JPG
36.JPG (115.9 KiB) Viewed 16227 times
35.JPG
35.JPG (115.13 KiB) Viewed 16227 times
magic170

Postby magic170 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:03 pm

2 more
Attachments
38.JPG
38.JPG (117.75 KiB) Viewed 16227 times
37.JPG
37.JPG (106.74 KiB) Viewed 16227 times
magic170

Postby gerrypocha » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:18 am

Thats a great piece Barrett,probably a $500 auction piece minimum. apparently shards of these have been found in ontario in dark olive, i dont know if there is any whole examples of those in existance . last summer i found a cache of over 30 143 royal purple can pacs and standards here in saskatchewan in a farmers shed . apparently these were laying in the soil since the early 1980s and had some alkaii stain. In ths cache were a blue montreal telegraph 143 and 2 133.2 slope shoulders. one in blue aqua and one in a bubbly,milky blue aqua, these seem to have been found in scattered locations across the country. anyways thats one heck of a keeper...
Attachments
slope 006.JPG
slope 006.JPG (45.98 KiB) Viewed 15733 times
Last edited by gerrypocha on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerrypocha

Postby novascotiaglass » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:04 am

Wow that is a great find. I have only ever laid eyes on another one of those in green and it came from PEI. I dont see a ton of the 133.2's, I think they were used across Canada. I picked up two in Edmonton and I have seen a few here in NS. Ill throw up a few pics when I get a chance.

The green 133.2's are absolute beauties, great find guys.

Jason
Glass Junkie....I need another fix
novascotiaglass

Postby Lee S. » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:53 pm

Nice find Barrett!

Here's a dark teally aqua that I picked up from an antique mall just a few weeks ago. It's cracked, but it's a new colour for me.
_133_2.jpg
_133_2.jpg (27.48 KiB) Viewed 16204 times
Lee S.

Postby gerrypocha » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:14 pm

looks like teal green aqua for sure lee,thats a tough one too! needs a bath for sure. :D
gerrypocha

Postby 369reid » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:28 pm

SAM_0069.JPG
SAM_0069.JPG (132.96 KiB) Viewed 16184 times
Nice piece Barrett, good to see your alive and kicking too. ;-) Here is a flawless blue entry just loaded with inclusions. A nice pollywog swimming, thru pot stones, amber wisps, milk wisps and lots of seed bubbles, towards a nice big bubble in the skirt. Pales in comparison to some of Craig's tho. Some really nice pieces here. Be a really interesting cd to collect.
Canadian Insulators Rock
369reid

Postby Barrett » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:59 pm

Hey, All!

Thanks for sharing those great photos, and thanks for the kind words on my newest acquisition. For a style that is rarely mentioned or encountered, there are some really neat examples of these Canadian pieces. I love the teal shades some of you guys have (I certainly don't have any), and Craig - you've got some great junkers, man!
Reid - Indeed, I am still alive and kicking... not by much though. I hope you're doing well out west! This exam period has me a bit stressed. Because of the poor driving conditions in London recently, one of my exams had to be cancelled on Wednesday, only to be rescheduled during the same time I already have 2 others. The Ontario weather is not cooperative with academics this autumn! And yes, I'll remind those of you who weren't sure - it is still autumn out.
Gerry - sorry for not getting back to you after my escapade north this past summer. I still have an envelope of photos to send you. I just haven't gotten around to writing a letter and getting them mailed out. Sounds like an interesting cache you've turned up there! I'd love to get a couple of those purple Canadian Pacific 143s from you if you still have some around.
All the best!
Barrett

Postby Barrett » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:03 pm

Oh! I turned up this photo of my "tall" 133.2. An average-height piece is shown on the right, with the tall example on the left. Certainly not a common variant. This one came from an American collector. I have no idea where it was used.
Take care,
Attachments
133.2 - No Embossing Canada - Tallskirt #2.jpg
133.2 - No Embossing Canada - Tallskirt #2.jpg (121.31 KiB) Viewed 16150 times
Barrett

Next

Return to Canadian CDs 102 - 144