CD120 Double Threaded

Here you can discuss anything related to Canadian CDs 102, 106, 115, 121, 133.2, 143, as well as other CDs between these.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Re: CD120 Double Threaded

Postby Robin Plewes » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:29 am

Hi All:
I'm quite sure the 120s were made at the same time as the double threaded 143s. Since there are so few of either around, I can't imagine the double threading trial would be tried twice.
For some reason, I recall it being said that a cd120 was found in a house or on a house once. I know one was found on a side pin in a garage sale, but this is not 100% proof it was used this way. The insulator was a reasonable fit if I recall. The pin must have been a bit smaller in diameter or something. I forget the exact details.
I'm leaning towards residential use rather than crossarm installations for the 120 double threaded insulators.

Continued good luck with those double thread 143s Andy!

Robin
Robin Plewes

Postby Chris Minicola » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:14 am

Ok, here's some information on the one I have. I bought it from a well known bottle dealer from soutern Ontario. He found the 120 mint in a basket of 100 or so insulators at a garage sale. The rest were all 102's, this was the only 120 in the whole basket, which leads me to believe they were used in telco applications. I would guess they were the original toll insulator, likely only used for a short time and quickly displaced by 121 styles. Mine was found in South Western Ontario where most of the others were originally found.

I was also lucky enough to dig 80% of one in a turn of the century dump not far from Peterborough Ontario too. All of the other insulators found at this dump were 102 styles, so again it points to telco use.
Chris Minicola

Postby gerrypocha » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:26 am

Wow!,amazing information guys! , this is the sort of recollection that makes all the differance. good stuff...
gerrypocha

Postby Barrett » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:16 pm

Although I know little about these pieces, to the best of my knowledge all known examples have originated from Ontario. It seems like the GTA and Niagara peninsula regions are the most common origin for these, though it sounds like some have turned up in other places. I am yet to see an example, or even shards of one, in my escapades.
I can personally vouch for the fact that more than a half dozen examples exist, as I have seen more than that number in one place at one time. Unfortunately, I think the collector(s) who own them wish to remain anonymous. I doubt there are more than 20 examples of this rare style known to exist, though.
Barrett

Previous

Return to Canadian CDs 102 - 144