What was the first Canadian insulator?

Here you can discuss anything related to Canadian CDs 102, 106, 115, 121, 133.2, 143, as well as other CDs between these.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

What was the first Canadian insulator?

Postby Blacksash » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:54 pm

Hello,

I am very new (Don't have a single insulator yet....) to the hobby, and want to learn a bit about it. I thought that I might as well start at the beginning....

Virden, Manitoba, Canada, is my hometown. Anything that relates to Manitoba or the area would be interesting to me. I might be able to find something unusual here.

Best Wishes,

-Rick
Blacksash

Re: What was the first Canadian insulator?

Postby Robin Plewes » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:18 am

Hi Rick:
Welcome to the Canadian forum and the hobby.

The first Canadian made insulators would probably be threadless 740s. There was an iron covered glass insulator used on the east coast that would be very early also, but I've never heard any thoughts as to who made it etc.

I'm sure you'll soon have some insulators. Just keep an eye on the classifieds, garage sales and perhaps the auction listings. If you see things like old bottles or RR gear mentioned, then there is a chance there will be some insulators also.
Collecting via the mail will also allow you to get insulators not found in your area. There are a few collector who specifically collect insulators for places quite far from home. There's a guy in TX who collects Diamond ponies ( Specifically from the Canadian Diamond Glass Co. ) that were never installed in TX.
Doug in Sudbury ( member of this forum ) collects insulators from all over the world and has a great collection.

Early insulators from the east coast were sent out west and reused in some cases. It will be interesting to hear what you find in Manitoba. There are not that many collectors in Man.

Good collecting ........... Robin in Ont.
Robin Plewes

Postby Blacksash » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:48 pm

Hello Robin,

Can you post a picture of the threadless 740?

Thank you,

-Rick
Blacksash

Postby Robin Plewes » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:53 am

Hi Rick:
I'll go one better than that :)
Check out this gallery of collector's threadless pictures http://www.insulators.info/pictures/search/ . If you click on the threadless category, there is 377 threadless pics posted. They are searchable by style also. If you enter " Foster 740" you'll get one pic, if you enter just "740", you'll see 8 pics.
Have a good one .......... Robin
Robin Plewes

Return to Canadian CDs 102 - 144