Treadless G.N.W.

Here you can discuss anything related to Canadian CDs 102, 106, 115, 121, 133.2, 143, as well as other CDs between these.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Treadless G.N.W.

Postby Shawn143 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:14 am

Was intrigued by this piece enough to throw in a bid. General question on everyone's thoughts on this piece. $190 U.S., was that a good price? And most importantly, who scooped it? We as a Canadian community need to know. Gotta get me one of dem dere treadless pieces. :twisted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

Shawn
Shawn143

Re: Treadless G.N.W.

Postby Robin Plewes » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:08 am

I just looked at that listing. Ebay takes a lot longer to load than this forum! :mrgreen:
That 143 is not something I would have bid on, and I do collect 143 GNWs and threadless. It's the kinda insulator that should be seen in person.
My .02.
Thanks for the posting though Shawn. I would never have known of this piece otherwise.
Robin
Robin Plewes

Postby Hemingray » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:39 am

The pictures weren't great. I thought I could see traces of lines that could be threads. I suspect (without seeing the piece in person), that it was just very weakly molded threads rather than totally smooth cylinder of a true threadless. I think the seller commented that this might be the case.

Still would be nice to see the piece in person!!
Hemingray

Postby Alex » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:03 pm

Attaching a couple of the auction pics for when it falls off ebay.

I thought I could see traces of lines that could be threads. I suspect (without seeing the piece in person), that it was just very weakly molded threads rather than totally smooth cylinder of a true threadless

One thing that popped into my mind is, did somebody ream out the threads to fit a chair leg? The dome seems to have the "chair wear" flat spot.

Alex.
Attachments
ebay gnw threadless_4.jpg
ebay gnw threadless_4.jpg (72.04 KiB) Viewed 7385 times
ebay gnw threadless_2.JPG
ebay gnw threadless_2.JPG (78.44 KiB) Viewed 7385 times
ebay gnw threadless_3.JPG
ebay gnw threadless_3.JPG (72.83 KiB) Viewed 7385 times
Alex

Postby CliMac » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:33 pm

GNW 143s are one of my favourites, but I don't think I'd have bid very high for that one if I'd seen it while the auction was on. I haven't been watching that site too often lately. I agree that it looks like a case of poorly formed or otherwise damaged threads and also that I would need to see it in person before dishing out that kind of price.
CliMac

Postby Barrett » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:12 pm

Having seen this piece in person on multiple occasions, I can attest to it actually having threads that are quite clearly defined in some parts of the pinhole, although still very light. I would guess the threading mandrel was pulled straight out of the pinhole of this one while still molten, rather than unthreaded as is normally the case.
I have a G.N.W. 143 with an almost similarly small amount of threading.
So, did someone get jipped for $190.00 U.S. for a badly damaged G.N.W. CD-143? Possibly... in my opinion, yes. In the worst case scenario, though, it is still a very unique and charactered piece! It is certainly no previously unknown threadless style.
Barrett

Postby ohiosulator » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:00 am

I agree with Barrett. It is quite possibly a one of a kind character piece, and would make a cool addition to any 143 GNW lineup IMO.
ohiosulator

Postby Shawn143 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:48 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. Maybe I should consider myself fortunate that I was not the high bidder, but who's to say? I have an inkling to who ended up the high bidder, but I will not speculate randomly online. Either way, it's a unique piece that would go well in a collection.

Shawn
Shawn143

Return to Canadian CDs 102 - 144