DID I BUY THE RIGHT HEMINGRAY CARNIVAL??

Here you may post any questions you have regarding insulators.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

DID I BUY THE RIGHT HEMINGRAY CARNIVAL??

Postby rhodesbennett » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi: This is my first posting and I am new to insulator collecting. I purchased my first insulator on Ebay two days ago, a hemingray cd168 carnival. After the purchase I found out that apparently I need to be careful with possible fakes that have been altered. The auction for this piece had over 29 bids from 12 different interested parties and the person selling it has a 100% approval rating. I am hoping I didn't make a mistake and buy a fake. I am waiting for it to be delivered. I have attached the item listing below. Please take a look at let me know what you think. Is it a real carnival or an artificial carnival? Thanks, Dan

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... OC:US:3160
rhodesbennett

Re: DID I BUY THE RIGHT HEMINGRAY CARNIVAL??

Postby TedW » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:48 pm

The Hemingray CD 168's are well known to come in carnival, although I know some of these and the 137's have been messed with. It's the mickey mouse CD 257's in carnival that are almost certainly fake. Some of the rarer Hemingray carnivals (154/162/164) have been attempted too I believe, but are easy to spot if you know what to look for. Factory applied coatings usually are thin at the top and thicker/more lustrous at the bottom. Usually the coating should show some minor groove wear to indicate it was in service. If you see any chips/flakes with the coating sprayed over top, its a pretty good indicator of a fake.

As for the auction, the carnival D-510's book for 50-75 so 100+ is pretty steep. There's several others on eBay right now including a vnm example at a buy it now price of 69.00.
Last edited by TedW on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TedW

Postby TedW » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:52 pm

Here's a good reference, hitting the 'next' button at the top right will give you a few more angles of these insulators and a further explanation.

http://www.insulators.info/pictures/?id=218488663

The insulators.com picture poster gallery search is an excellent reference for pricing/value, information and just about anything else.
TedW

Postby magic170 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:12 pm

Welcome to the site. As for the carnival hemingray I would say it is more than likely legit but hey you never know the thing about ebay is patience is the best virtue on pieces that value under 200.00 as they are common enough that they will come up regularly and more than likeyly you can get one for a decent price . Example royal purple cd 102 ponies they can be had on ebay $10-$25 regularly but on occasion they will sneak up and hit 50.00 I just shake my head when this happens . In the end thought all that really matters is you get something you like for a price you are happy with. Where are you from ?
magic170

Postby Shawn143 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:40 am

Looks good to me sitting on the window sill. The purple 102 they sold last week looks good as well, no 'cooking' there. I'd be more concerned with the potential shill bidder with the 18 rating putting in a dozen bids in at $2 increments up to the high value of $70. I could be wrong about these bids, but I've learned to not trust to many people anymore, especially when in comes to EPay, I mean EBay. Sorry, Freudian slip.....
Shawn143

Postby rhodesbennett » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:57 am

Shawn143 wrote:Looks good to me sitting on the window sill. The purple 102 they sold last week looks good as well, no 'cooking' there. I'd be more concerned with the potential shill bidder with the 18 rating putting in a dozen bids in at $2 increments up to the high value of $70. I could be wrong about these bids, but I've learned to not trust to many people anymore, especially when in comes to EPay, I mean EBay. Sorry, Freudian slip.....

Thanks Shawn. I appreciate your input. It was an impulse purchase on my part and in hindsight it would have been wiser for me to be patient and get a better deal. Oh well, live and learn. I will be happy when it arrives and will enjoy having it. Thanks! Dan
rhodesbennett

Postby rhodesbennett » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:07 am

magic170 wrote:Welcome to the site. As for the carnival hemingray I would say it is more than likely legit but hey you never know the thing about ebay is patience is the best virtue on pieces that value under 200.00 as they are common enough that they will come up regularly and more than likeyly you can get one for a decent price . Example royal purple cd 102 ponies they can be had on ebay $10-$25 regularly but on occasion they will sneak up and hit 50.00 I just shake my head when this happens . In the end thought all that really matters is you get something you like for a price you are happy with. Where are you from ?

Thanks so much for the advice. It was an impulse purchase on my part and in hindsight it would have been wiser for me to be patient and get a better deal. Oh well, live and learn. I will be happy when it arrives and will enjoy having it. I live in Agoura Hills, California, about 10 minutes from Malibu. I really enjoy the history behind insulators and it's a great hobby since the prices range from cheap to very expensive. I jut hope my wife doesn't get too annoyed with having a few insulators around the house and in my office. I hope to obtain a nice ECM SF in the near future. I will have to allow her a few more shopping sprees to make up for this. Thanks! Dan
rhodesbennett

Postby rhodesbennett » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:00 pm

Shawn143 wrote:Looks good to me sitting on the window sill. The purple 102 they sold last week looks good as well, no 'cooking' there. I'd be more concerned with the potential shill bidder with the 18 rating putting in a dozen bids in at $2 increments up to the high value of $70. I could be wrong about these bids, but I've learned to not trust to many people anymore, especially when in comes to EPay, I mean EBay. Sorry, Freudian slip.....

Shawn: I contacted ebay to review this and clarified that another bidder had set a high "automatic bid" on the insulator. Apparently the bidder with the 18 rating placed multiple bids trying to get the upper hand on the automatic bidder. Just my luck I ran into a couple of frenzied bidders on the item. Impulse buy on my part and I will be more patient (and better informed) next time. Thanks, Dan
rhodesbennett

Postby Shawn143 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:51 pm

Actually Dan, these multiple bids aren't a big deal since there were a couple higher bids above the $70 mark, but trends are something I always look for. If you want a road trip, there's always a show and sale to attend. There was one in Fresno on Saturday, another in Cayucos May 18 and 19th. A good way to get the wife to attend that one is "How'd you like to take a nice, scenic drive up the north on the PCH?" There's also one real close Oct. 6 in Grand Terrace. You'll see a great array of glass, and the prices will be right, with the ability to dicker. Anything in particular you are looking for, or is it whatever catches your eye?

Shawn
Shawn143

Postby rhodesbennett » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:43 am

Shawn143 wrote:Actually Dan, these multiple bids aren't a big deal since there were a couple higher bids above the $70 mark, but trends are something I always look for. If you want a road trip, there's always a show and sale to attend. There was one in Fresno on Saturday, another in Cayucos May 18 and 19th. A good way to get the wife to attend that one is "How'd you like to take a nice, scenic drive up the north on the PCH?" There's also one real close Oct. 6 in Grand Terrace. You'll see a great array of glass, and the prices will be right, with the ability to dicker. Anything in particular you are looking for, or is it whatever catches your eye?

Shawn

Shawn: Thanks so much for the great information. I will definitely RSVP to the event in Grand Terrace in October. I am particularly interested in EC&M SF insulators. The history behind these insulators is very interesting to me. I recently read on line the article "A Taxonomy of EC&M Insulators: Mastering Your ABC's." by Howard Banks. It would be really cool to have one great example from every mold style of the EC&M's. One recently sold on ebay for $351. I don't know if this was a good price or not. I will have to educate myself on the pricing of these. I know that they can be very expensive depending on the mold style and condition, especially mold E where only a handful have been found. It would be great to find an EC&M for the first time. Alas, since I work long hours I will have to limit myself to finding them on line or at shows. Any suggestions on legitimate on line source for these? It would be great if the show in Grand Terrace might have EC&M's available. Thanks Again for all of your help! Dan
rhodesbennett

Next

Return to Insulator Help & Questions