Locations of Canadian Glass Factories

Here you may post any questions you have regarding insulators.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Re: Locations of Canadian Glass Factories

Postby CliMac » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:28 pm

Lee S. wrote:4. Kingsville: Ontario Glass
It was on lot 25 division 1, but I haven't been able to locate a plan of Kingsville in order to figure out where this is...

Do you mean Lot 25, Concession I, Western Division, Gosfield Township?

CliMac

Postby Lee S. » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:33 pm

Many thanks for the info Cliff.

St Lawrence: I had assumed the glass works occupied the entire block, I have updated my map accordingly.
Excelsior: this confirms the location that I had
Kingsville: I'm not sure this is the location (where did you find this map?). From "Glass in Canada" : "The property consisted of five and one-half acres located on Lot 25, Division 1, Town of Kingsville"

Shaun, you said you had the exact location for the Ontario Glass Works, did you have any luck making the map?

I've made a few more updates to the map since I last posted, I now have a more accurate location for Humphrey's glass in Trenton, and I've added the following (none of which are currently suspected of manufacturing insulators, but you never know...):
Brampton: Dominion Glass/Domglas/Consumers Glass/O-I Canada
Burnaby: Dominion Glass
Candiac: Iroquois Glass/Consumer Glass
Etobicoke: Consumers Glass
Lachine: Atlas/Premier/Consumers Glass
Mallorytown: Mallorytown Glass Works
Milton: Consumers Glass/O-I Canada
Oshawa: Canadian Knox Glass
Oshawa: Feldspar Glass
Port Colborne: Erie Glass
Port Colborne: Foster Glass Works
Saint John: New Brunswick Crystal Glass/Courtnay Bay Glass
Toronto: Beaver Flint Glass
Victoria: Victoria Glass and Bottle
Winnipeg: Mid-west Glass
Lee S.

Postby CliMac » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:05 am

Lee S. wrote:Kingsville: I'm not sure this is the location

I didn't have any information on the location of the glass works, this was an attempt to decipher the location you posted.

Lee S. wrote:where did you find this map?

At McGill's County Atlas Project. They have scanned the county atlases published by Belden and others in the 1870s-1880s.

UWO has a fire insurance plan archive which includes plans from Kingsville. I didn't find them online but there is a listing with a contact link here: Fire Insurance Plans. If you can get access to these and find the glass works on them, they are great. They are very detailed and show the building footprints. They may have earlier plans not listed, as suggested by this site which contains a couple of excerpts from a plan described as '1890 Fire Insurance Plan (revised to 1898)'.
CliMac

Postby Lee S. » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:03 pm

Thanks again Cliff.

I managed to find a copy of the 1890 (revised 1898) fire insurance plan online (open the image too see the whole thing):

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to show lot 25...
Lee S.

Postby Shawn143 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:49 am

Sorry, I've slacked off on this topic, but unfortunately Cliff in incorrect in the location that he's highlighted. If you can repost the 1890 Fire Insurance Kingsville street map, the Ontario Glass Company was at the intersection of the Lake Erie, Essex & Detroit River Railway and Lansdowne Ave. It was on the West side of Lansdowne and North of the Railway, and shows as Lot 35. That makes no sense if other sources say it was Lot 25. I got this right from the woman at the local paper, the Kingsville Reporter. When I explained what I was looking for in their archives a few years ago, she says, "Oh, you mean where the Conklin Planing Mills used to be."
Currently, the property is partially occupied by a Legion and other parkland. I'm sure someone would need special permission to do any exploratory research on Legion property, unless you know somebody to cut through the red tape.
Shawn143

Postby cdnbeehive » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:39 am

Yesterday I visited the site of the St. John's/Excelsior Glass company in Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu QC. It is on the northeast corner of Bouthellier and St. Georges Streets.

The property is fairly small and vacant. A larger property to the south was recently excavated and cleaned up, and is also vacant. One the glass factory property itself, it is covered in dirt and is used as a shortcut for local teens. It has been driven over quite extensively and looks pretty unassuming until you get out and walk around. on the surface I turned up chunks here and there, but figured digging might be more interesting. Seeing as I do not have permission to dig, I tried a small test hole to be discreet. About 2-4 inches below the mud there was an ash layer full of cullet. I found aqua, amber, and green gobs of glass, and chunks of what may have been rejected insulators, as well as a few pieces of bottles and other objects. I found about 25% of a blue MONTREAL 143, and a chunk of a skirt of a light green one.

I will bring my bucket of cullet for show and tell to Perth.

I think I am going to start to find out who the owner of the land is, and try to get permission to dig. The chunks got bigger as I got deeper, and wouldn't it be cool to find some heavily deformed Montreal 143's in there?

Chris
cdnbeehive

Postby Lee S. » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:09 pm

Shawn143 wrote:Sorry, I've slacked off on this topic, but unfortunately Cliff in incorrect in the location that he's highlighted. If you can repost the 1890 Fire Insurance Kingsville street map, the Ontario Glass Company was at the intersection of the Lake Erie, Essex & Detroit River Railway and Lansdowne Ave. It was on the West side of Lansdowne and North of the Railway, and shows as Lot 35. That makes no sense if other sources say it was Lot 25. I got this right from the woman at the local paper, the Kingsville Reporter. When I explained what I was looking for in their archives a few years ago, she says, "Oh, you mean where the Conklin Planing Mills used to be."
Currently, the property is partially occupied by a Legion and other parkland. I'm sure someone would need special permission to do any exploratory research on Legion property, unless you know somebody to cut through the red tape.

Thanks for following up Shawn.

Your description matches that given by John C Barclay in "Canadian Fruit Jar Report" (he gave the intersection only), so I'm sure you are correct. It's possible that the lot numbers were re-assigned at some point.
Lee S.

Postby Lee S. » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:43 pm

cdnbeehive wrote:Yesterday I visited the site of the St. John's/Excelsior Glass company in Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu QC. It is on the northeast corner of Bouthellier and St. Georges Streets.

I will bring my bucket of cullet for show and tell to Perth.

I think I am going to start to find out who the owner of the land is, and try to get permission to dig. The chunks got bigger as I got deeper, and wouldn't it be cool to find some heavily deformed Montreal 143's in there?

Chris

That's awesome Chris. You should extend your search to the block to the east of there (between Collin and Mercier), this is the Canada Glass Works (Foster Bros) site. Good luck!

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzaLNIXzcDNiNWJVREFEOHdNTms
Last edited by Lee S. on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee S.

Postby cdnbeehive » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:11 pm

The block to the east and the block to the south were both part of the recently "cleansed" Hart Battery property. The soil was contaminated and hauled away to be replaced with stone and clay. I might check the edge near the railway, but it looks like the only part that is "old ground" is the former St. Johns site.

I did a cool map overlay that I am bringing tomorrow.

Chris
cdnbeehive

Previous

Return to Insulator Help & Questions