Stoneware insulator Marked W.M.WARDEN & CO 1877

Here you may post any questions you have regarding insulators.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Stoneware insulator Marked W.M.WARDEN & CO 1877

Postby nigel5398 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:10 pm

Hi, I am in uk, I have found a insulator in excellent condition. Brown in colour stoneware i belive. Marked W.M.WARDEN & CO 1877. Seems very early for an insulator. Anyone any ideas? Nige.
nigel5398

Re: Stoneware insulator Marked W.M.WARDEN & CO 1877

Postby Chris Minicola » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:23 pm

Hello Nigel and welcome to the group.

That is indeed a very early patent date for an insulator, is it threaded or threadless? Sometimes patent dates can be deceiving as the date can be retained on the insulator for ten years or more depending on the expiry of the patent period (whatever that was back in 1877 Britain)

If you could post a picture I'm sure that will help us to identify it for you.
Chris Minicola

Postby Lee S. » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi Nigel,

W.M.WARDEN & CO were telegraph equipment manufacturers in 1860s-70s, the company was located on Regent St. in Westminster.

From this time period I'm guessing the insulator you have is a Varley type. I've never heard of this exact embossing- it would be great to see a picture.

Of interest to Canadian collectors, William Marsden Warden went on to become a partner in Latimer Clark, Muirhead & Co. - this is the company that manufactured the iron poles patented by F.N.Gisborne and used on the prairies.

Lee.
Lee S.

Postby Chris Minicola » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:36 pm

You might want to join ICON (Insulator Collectors On the Net) and post the question there too as there are many other collectors knowledgeable in British insulators - there's even a few right in the UK.
Check out the page here:

http://www.insulators.info/icon/
Chris Minicola

UK Insualtor Show

Postby Robin Plewes » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:33 am

Hi Nigel:
Looks like you've found a dandy insulator there. ;)

May I suggest you check out this site http://www.myinsulators.com/ukinsulators/ ?

James Bancroft is hosting an insulator show on Aug 6th and I'm sure he would love to hear from you for a chat about insulators and perhaps you attending the show next weekend.

Robin in Ontario
Robin Plewes

Return to Insulator Help & Questions