Canada's First Insulator Show For 2010

In this part of the forum you can discuss anything related to insulator shows including finds from insulator shows as well as dates and locations of upcoming shows.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Re: Canada's First Insulator Show For 2010

Postby Chris Minicola » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:14 pm

Hi Robin,

Just stating the obvious here but shifting to a more centralized location might bring out more Canadian collectors. Somewhere along the 401 maybe, say Kingston, Trenton, Cobourg, Port Hope, Bowmanville?
GTA might be tough due to higher rental costs.

On the other hand, Cornwall, Gananoque, Kingston are easier for the collectors coming in from the US or Quebec. I guess it depends on who the show is catering to. I know I would have been more likely to make it the last couple of years if the drive was shorter. Just my two cents.
Chris Minicola

Postby treemendous » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:45 am

I was one of the orginal members setting up the first two shows along with Steve Moore and Jack Harynuk way back in ??? when it was held in Nepean (Ottawa) and Smiths Falls and the turn out was great lots of collectors and dealers from both sides of the border. It was something new and exciting. I think, and this my personal thinking that the hobby has taken a down turn,I can name at least 12 collectors in the area ( Ontario) that are out of the hobby or have turned into closet collectors myself included. I have always liked the back yard events, I had the first one back about 1991 or 92, but this really doesn't draw any body in, only the invited few.There are less collectors and everybody is after the same few pieces. We all have families now which makes it almost impossiable to attend some of the shows and devote time to the hobby (which Robin states). I feel the same as Chris M as to the centralized location somewhere along the 401 corridor close to a border crossing I'd say Gananoque or Brockville and also maybe hold it later in the summer July so maybe people can make a holiday out of it and tour the area.
I think that Robin and Darcy have done a excellent job over last number of years, it is a thankless job no matter what you do and or where it is located. Again I don't think it matters where or when you hold the show INTEREST in the hobby is way down. Just look at this forum 2 weeks between postings???? Back when I started in the hobby in the 1970's the Bytown Bottle show was really a insulator show there where that many collectors at it selling, this now has gone the other way in the last 20 years with no insulators. This just my 2 cents worth take it as you like.
Steve
treemendous

Postby Robin Plewes » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:03 am

Hi All:

I knew there would be several views on how my original posting would be read. It's a complex topic with many angles influencing it.

One I had not considered that should be straightened out ..... At no time in my time of hosting OVIC shows has turning a profit been a consideration. I only mentioned hitting the show reserve fund as one of the indicators of the show's drop in collector attendance. All incoming funds have gone towards hall rental, food, advertising and show promotion/support.

The show hall in Perth has worked out well for the most part. There's no stairs to contend with and the Lion's ladies provide a lunch for the show. The lighting is not the best, but the rental fee and agreement is reasonable and table cloths are provided. Just for fun, how many show hosts have looked into insurance? It is a big factor with a show location.

Previous OVIC locations ( Ottawa ) wanted event fees on top of hall rentals or ( Smiths Falls ) had a hall in serious need of renovation. Once it was renovated, the rental fee roughly doubled. The available rooms for out of town collectors left something to be desired also. On site lunches were a separate concern also.

There have been a couple of responses indicating that the show location ( town ) could be moved to accommodate more collectors. This was a consideration when OVIC moved from both Ottawa and Smiths Falls. If it were moved south, then the collectors from the north would have to drive further. At least one regular OVIC table holder comes to the show at great effort of time and $ from the north. The location is also a balance between the collectors from Quebec and southern Ontario. Perth is 45 minutes from the US border. If the show were moved to a border town, I don't think the 45 minute drive-time savings would draw any more American collectors.

Bill M. split my thoughts into 2 relevant questions. I'm quite happy to turn the OVIC hosting efforts over to some one else. This has been known for a couple of years. I do indeed get the idea that if I don't book the hall, then there would be no OVIC show. It was mentioned that the number of active local collectors has dropped. Perhaps OVIC 2010 was the first year it became obvious. Thinking about it, this is probably so.

Moving the show date around effects other insulator show's which have regular dates on the calendar. In the past, the show date has been moved a week or two either way to accommodate collectors who knew they would be able to attend or not attend etc.

Perhaps the best response suggested, " Just have fun " . Everyone who comes to an OVIC shows seems to have a good time meeting other collectors and looking at insulators. Some never buy anything, some never sell anything, but the charge of being at the show is infectious. Some have flown in while others have made a 2 day drive to Perth for our humble event. I'm always impressed by this effort and dedication to the hobby.

I sure have fun at OVIC shows ....... It's just that knowing others will be committing time and $ in attending the OVIC show ...... I feel the host or hosts should be doing their very best to make the show worth it for those attending. At this point I'm not sure that I'm able to give enough to meet this target. It's a tough call.

Thanks to all who commented on this posting. I appreciate the observations.

Robin
Robin Plewes

Previous

Return to Insulator Shows