Who's Going to Perth

In this part of the forum you can discuss anything related to insulator shows including finds from insulator shows as well as dates and locations of upcoming shows.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Re: Who's Going to Perth

Postby Robin Plewes » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:05 am

Hi All:
Thanks for starting this thread Randy !
The hall is going to be full this year. It's looking like 20 tables are spoken for at this time. I'll have to get working on a floor plan as the usual one will not work.
There is a newpaper promotional column out in this week's local paper, so hopefully there will be some interested local folks drop in to see what the hobby is about. Last year there was a a local couple walked in with a Cutter that they had dub up on their farm. I had no idea these insulators were used up here.
Collectors are coming from NS, IL, NY, Que and Ont. so far as I know.
Doug is going to be displaying some of his foreign collection. I wonder what country he has chosen this year? It's always an education to see the seldom see stuff that he displays. Thanks for the huge effort you make to attend and display Doug!

With the dispersal of several collections going on, I'm sure there will be some dandy sales tables at this year's meet.

I would like to remind everyone of the "Canadian Rules" element of OVIC shows so that table holders are able to set up and get things in order without mistakes that may cause regrets and ill will down the road.

Thanks to all who can make it out. There will be a limited number of lunches available and coffee should be ready by 7:30am.

Thanks to Lee for all his work on posting the show on many web sites, some of which I have never heard of before.

Let me know if anyone has any requests or suggestions and I'll see what can be done.

Good collecting ............. Robin
Robin Plewes

A Quick OVIC Update

Postby Robin Plewes » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:05 am

Hi All:

The NIA altered insulators display is coming up for the show. :D Rick Soller has been good enough to step up and truck it both ways from the US. I know this needs to be discussed by the NIA, so it looks like OVIC is getting a boost from the NIA.

Bob Scafe is sending over some rare foriegn insulators for display also. Knowing last year's striped insulators were eye catching, I am looking forward to bright blue spools, a Silvertown and some new insulators from Uruguay. Thanks Bob :D

Word is Barrett is going to make the trip up for his first OVIC show this year. Thanks for making the time available Barrett! :) Hope you find a few things for the collection.

The hall is open at 10:00 for those who are not taking a table. Coffee, tea and lunch will be available thanks to the Lioness Ladies.

Looking forward to the show.
Robin
Robin Plewes

Postby Barrett » Sun May 01, 2011 4:57 pm

I just wanted to thank Robin and Darcy for their work in preparing this show. It was a great event!
Thanks to everyone for coming out! It was great to meet a few people including Allan Hall, Chris Hall (no relation!), and Tim Baxter. And of course all the regular folks. Some people I just hadn't seen in a long while. Regardless, It was fantastic to see everyone, and I am glad I made it out!
Hopefully I will see everyone there next year!
Barrett

Postby Robin Plewes » Thu May 05, 2011 5:57 am

Hi All:
A big thanks to all who made it out for OVIC 2011. :!:

The hall had a greater number of sales tables than in recent years. The local paper coverage prior to the show brought in several members of the community with boxes of insulators to be valued or sold to collectors. No show stoppers this year, but it was nice to see that the media coverage worked.

The NIA altered insulator display proved to be a great reminder of what collectors should watch for when finding "odd" colored insulators on-line or in garage sales etc. Some of the faked colors are very close to the real ones, so it pays to know what to look for.

Doug's display of French insulators was again very informative. Foreign insulators are turning up in the strangest places now. Tourism and the internet are allowing Canadian collectors to discover insulators that many have never seen before. Documenting these new styles is a challenge. Many of the French insulators have the same style, but in 3 or 4 sizes. I can only think of the cd160/cd162 in North American insulators that have this concept in insulator production.

Bob Scafe sent over some very nice purple spools from Uruguay. Their shade of purple is not one seen in North American insulators. The other porcelain insulators from Uruguay that Bob sent for display, appear to have been made in Britain. It seems that international commerce in insulators has been around for at least 100 years, and not just between Europe and North America.

As advertised, the OVIC donations jar will be supporting Crown Jewels Magazine, Insulators.info and the NIA this year. These essential elements have supported the show and the hobby in general. Darcy and myself appreciate the support and all funds ( after show expenses ) will be directed to these worthy organizations.

The Perth Lions Hall will be booked for OVIC 2012 shortly. Next year's show will be hosted by Darcy with local support from myself in April 2012.

Thanks again to all who made it a great day of insulator camaraderie!

Robin Plewes / Darcy Laframboise
OVIC 2011 Hosts
Robin Plewes

Postby Chris Minicola » Thu May 05, 2011 8:30 am

Does anyone know what happened to Randy? Last I heard he was going to set up a table at the show.
Chris Minicola

Postby Robin Plewes » Thu May 05, 2011 7:18 pm

There were a couple of guys who got "distracted" on the OVIC weekend.
Randy threw his back out loading his truck for the show.
Steve Moore was busy looking after his generator / sump pump as his power was still out due to the wind storm that went through the area on the previous Thursday.
I guess there are some things that come before insulators :cry:

Robin
Robin Plewes

Previous

Return to Insulator Shows