Canada's Second meet of 2011 - S.W.O.I.S.

In this part of the forum you can discuss anything related to insulator shows including finds from insulator shows as well as dates and locations of upcoming shows.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Canada's Second meet of 2011 - S.W.O.I.S.

Postby Barrett » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:15 am

Hello, all!

With winter at its worst these days (well, aside from nearly 5' of snow in 3 days back in December), I find my mind wandering to the joyous outdoor events that the spring of 2011 will bring us all... among them is this years 8th annual S.W.O.I.S. in Mount Brydges, Ontario.
This year presents a set of unique challenges. As some of you know already I had the opportunity to head to the frozen north last summer as an employment opportunity and thus missed the chance to attend the swap meet held at my own house. Frustrating as it was, the experience was well worth my while. Now, for a second year I am contemplating a trip to somewhere exotic - hopefully the arctic for a second time - as a stage for my summer work. Regardless of where I wind up, I would likely begin around mid to late May. This again puts a damper on my ability to be there to help with the show. My parents have made it clear that the show will not take place if I am not around to help with it, so my dilemma is when to schedule it. As well, a member of my family has a wedding the same Saturday as the show is usually held.
My parents have been tossing around the idea of hosting it two weeks earlier - on May the 21st. This is 3 weeks after the show in Perth, which I don't think will interfere with that show too much. However, that does place it on May 2-4 weekend. Any earlier, and I fear it and the Perth show will begin to conflict in people's schedules. Any later and I won't be able to attend, and the event will be called off!
So what does everyone think about getting together on the Saturday of May 2-4 weekend? I am guessing that several people would be unable to attend, as this is among the biggest cottage & vacation weekends of the year. The other option is to hold it a week earlier, and have it be only 2 weeks following the Perth show.
Let's take a vote! I need you all to help me figure this one out!
Take care, all. Hopefully I will see you at the show, regardless of when it is!
Barrett

Re: Canada's Second meet of 2011 - S.W.O.I.S.

Postby Shawn143 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:07 am

As far as my schedule, I can make either weekend in May work, although the 14th is the better of the 2. Have you thought about a mid/late August date? Or would it run to close to the Ontario fall meet at Dave's (if that's this years destination). Last year was Oct. 2, so not to close. Just a thought.

Shawn
Shawn143

Postby canadian porcelain » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:25 pm

Hi Barrett,

The weekend of the 14th is better for me, but ultimately will try to make it work either way. As far as interfering with Perth, there isn't a lot of overlap between the 2 shows as far as attendees. And an insulator show is and insulator show, and anything North of the Border is worth trying to hit!!!

Regards, Paul Axman
canadian porcelain

Postby TedW » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:12 pm

May is a lot better for me, earlier the better so there is no overlap with my work schedule this year.
TedW

Postby Jack » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:03 pm

The only thing I am concerned about in early May is the unpredictable weather. I am right across the lake in Ohio and seen it snow many times. I would be disappointed to make arrangements to go then have 6" of snow and have to cancel my trip.
Jack
Jack

Postby parrotfarm » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:04 am

Don't think we've ever had 6" of snow in May Jack, although I do remember a dusting of snow one Mother's Day when I was quite young... Barrett, we can make it on whichever Saturday you decide to have it, just let us know when that is. Be good to see you this time! It was great that your parents went ahead with it anyhow last year, but it just wasn't right without you.
parrotfarm

Postby Barrett » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:59 pm

Alright, everyone! A date has been decided! Thanks for your input on the event. We're going to try and make it a little earlier this year. It may not be as warm and sunny, but hopefully everyone can make it out and the weather cooperates! Regardless, it should be a good time!

EIGHTH ANNUAL SOUTHWESTERN ONTARIO
INSULATOR MEET
SATURDAY MAY 14th, 2011
MOUNT BRYDGES, ONTARIO, CANADA

SET UP AT 10:30 a.m.
TRADING & DEALING BEGINS AT NOON
BBQ WILL BE FIRED UP AT 2:00 p.m.

The eighth annual southwestern Ontario Spring Insulator Meet will once again be held at the home of Henry & Hilary Nicpon, in a beautiful country setting located 3 km (2 miles) southeast of Mount Brydges, and 10 km (6 miles) southwest of London, Ontario. We invite insulator collectors of all interests to attend the eighth outdoor spring meet. Please come and set up a table or browse through the grounds to view the wide variety of insulators for sale or trade. People interested in attending should contact Tom Iannelli or Barrett Nicpon (see below for contact information). The meet will be held “rain or shine”.

There will be a small charge ($10) for those wishing to set up a table. The fee will help cover the cost of food & beverages. Please note that there will be only sufficient food & beverages available for those who RSVP.

If you wish to set up, please bring your own table if at all possible. There will be a limited number of tables on hand.

PLEASE REPLY BY MAY 7th, 2011

TOM IANNELLI:
tiannelli0098@rogers.com
519-641-0098

BARRETT NICPON:
barrett.nicpon@gmail.com
226-663-7004

For more information about local accommodations and attractions access www.city.london.on.ca or www.lambeth.ca.

WE HOPE ALL INTERESTED COLLECTORS CAN ATTEND!!!

All the best!
Attachments
Directions.JPG
Directions.JPG (194.05 KiB) Viewed 12115 times
Barrett

Postby Barrett » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:18 pm

Hey there, all!

As the date for this year's Spring insulator swap rapidly approaches, I find myself curious as to what familiar faces will make it out!
I am looking forward to the nearing of the end of the school year, and with it an increase in free time. I've been able to get out for a couple insulator hunts in the past week and have even made a couple finds which will be on display at the show. It's great to be resuming some level of sanity in my every day work load!
Everyone is welcome to come out, just please let me know if you will make it. Hopefully it will be a good time for all!
Barrett

Postby Shawn143 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:58 pm

I'm locked and loaded, buddy!!!! I'm even taking the whole prior week off just so I can go through the 500+ pieces to bring out a good selection of sales stock. Well, that's not the only reason. I've got to kill 5 weeks of vacation time per year, and I haven't taken any yet. Not just the glass that's attracting me, but the culinary delites are worth the trip.
See y'all real soon!!!!!!

Shawn
Shawn143

Postby Fossulator » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:53 am

Count me in as well. Always a great time, and like Shawn said, the grub is unbeatable
Fossulator

Next

Return to Insulator Shows