Canada's Second meet of 2011 - S.W.O.I.S.

In this part of the forum you can discuss anything related to insulator shows including finds from insulator shows as well as dates and locations of upcoming shows.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Re: Canada's Second meet of 2011 - S.W.O.I.S.

Postby Jack » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:52 am

I will be there, leaving Ohio on Friday, eastern route to the Falls. Any antique stores on my way, have lots of time to kill and have not acquired a new insulator in over two years, maybe that will spark my interest again, only a 5 hour trip.
Jack
Jack

Postby Barrett » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:08 am

Hey guys! Great to hear you'll be making it out!
Jack - it's especially great to hear you'll be coming out. If you don't find that new insulator for your collection when you're en route to the show, I will make sure you find several when you get to my place!
Barrett

Postby Barrett » Sun May 08, 2011 1:58 pm

Just a reminder to everyone that our Eighth annual spring insulator swap in beautiful Mount Brydges is coming up! I hope everyone can make it out, and I expect that it will be a great time as usual!
Please RSVP if you have no done so already!
Take care,
Barrett

Postby TedW » Mon May 09, 2011 10:12 am

I'll be there as well with some stuff to sell etc. Looking for some interesting porcelain multiparts and the like.
Does anyone who is attending have a need for a quantity of mixed common glass? Mostly 154 with 121, 102, 122, and 152 mixed in.
TedW

Postby Sluggo » Tue May 10, 2011 6:55 pm

Hello Barrett,

The weather forecast for Saturday is not looking very favourable in your neighbourhood. 90% POP with thunderstorms and strong winds. :cry:

Is your garage big enough for everyone to set up inside in case the weather man is actually right?

See everyone on Saturday!
Happy collecting,

Doug Netzke (Sluggo)

Collector of Foreign glass, carnival glass, spool type, radio strain and non-glass/non-porcelain insulators.
Accidental collector of glass fishing net floats.

Sluggo

Postby Shawn143 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:30 am

Hey Doug, since when are weatherman accurate? Hahahahahahahahaha. Of course you made that disclaimer about them being right.
Besides, this is southwest Ontario, if you don't like the weather, just wait 10 minutes, it'll change.

Shawn
Shawn143

Postby Shawn143 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:19 pm

As of 6 PM, now it's cloudy with showers, with a high of 18 celsius(66 F). We had this issue 3 or so years ago, but the rain held out. Maybe this will keep your neighbour from mowing his grass Saturday morning, 10 feet away from us, like every year.

Shawn
Shawn143

Postby Barrett » Thu May 12, 2011 4:59 pm

Hey, all!

Indeed, we did have threats of intense thunderstorms a few years ago, and miraculously the weather held off. My hopes are that this will be the case again, but just in case we are taking preventative measures.
I've picked up a couple big tarps, and Dave Williams is going to bring along a couple large tents he has for events held at his place, so we should be able to find plenty of space. With any luck, the weather won't be bad, anyways!
I hope everyone still decides to come out for the day, despite the weather. I think it will still prove to be a good time!
Barrett

Postby trainman » Mon May 16, 2011 6:49 pm

Thanks Barrett,Henry & Hillary,you people are GREAT,,GREAT show,, :),,Alan Hall
trainman

Postby Barrett » Mon May 16, 2011 11:07 pm

Once again, it's come and gone! Another spring swap meet behind us.
Although we were threatened with torrential downpours, the predicated poor weather amazingly enough held off all day. Aside from the pollen from a nearby century-old spruce tree, no one found anything covering their sales tables apart from the oggling eyes of bargain-hunters! No rain, no sleet, no snow. Folks, we got lucky!
Thanks to everyone who came out. This show was without doubt among the most fun insulator swaps I have attended, and my parents were also extremely happy with the great group of people who came out. I had the chance to meet quite a few new folks, and become more well acquainted with some others.
Of special note, thanks to Alan for coming all the way from Kingston and attending this meet for the first time. He even brought along some of his amazing threadless finds from this year and those past. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed yourself, and you are welcome back any time! Hopefully next time we will find some glass while out digging, and not just completely drenched clothes. ;)
Some other folks travel a long ways to get here repeatedly, year after year. Thanks to Doug from Sudbury, and Bob Harding from the Columbus, Ohio area.
It was great to see Ted and his brother make it out, as their's are two faces I have not seen for quite some time! As well, Ken Gardner was able to make it down as the meet did not conflict with his regularly scheduled gem & mineral show. Phil Ort from Hamilton also make it out for most of the day. It was great to see you guys make it out!
And of course, thanks go to all the regular attendees that make the show what it is. Without all our favourite collectors this hobby wouldn't be much fun at all. Fortunately, it has attracted some great folks that make these events so great to attend. With that in mind, thanks to Alan for the compliments regarding the show, but the show is only as great as the folks who attend!
A few people wanted to come, but couldn't make it out. Unfortunately Tom Iannelli, our show co-host ran into some unexpected health problems at the last minute and was unable to attend. His son, Eli is currently situated in the arctic, and couldn't make the trip 3000 km south by charter and commercial flight to be here. And of course, Al and Carol Fix from New York state were missed, as they had scheduled another show and a visit to Al's brother during the chosen time frame. Hopefully next year we can accommodate everyone, and everyone can make it out!
Take care, all. Thanks again to those who came out and showed your support. I'll see you at the autumn swap!
Barrett

Previous

Return to Insulator Shows