Rare Mud Find

Here you can discuss any hunts or finds you may have made from the wild, auctions, shows, etc.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Rare Mud Find

Postby cdnbeehive » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:44 pm

Wow...

What a slump I've been in... several hunts and nothing worthwhile in close to 2 months!

Anyhoo, today I decided to hunt an old hydro tower line erected in 1928 and removed in the 70's. I had reasonably good information as to the location of two towers, but when I got there, nothing remained. For kicks and giggles I decided to walk a nearby "transportation corridor" that would have had numerous different types of insulators used along it. After turning up a couple of broken WT CD155's, something sticking out of the mud caught my eye. It looked like a porcelain lightbulb base. Decided to dig it up anyways, just in case.

Well, the topic line sums up what it really was, although unbeknownst to me until I got it home and saw the glazewelds. Oh, and yes, it's not a complete specimen, but it's most of a Boch's pre-patent U-928! Definitely gonna hunt this line some more.

I've enhanced the embossing with a red marker in the pics. It is so faint, that most of the word "insulator" is not visible at all.

Happy hunting!!
Attachments
U-928 004.jpg
Closeup of the glazeweld
U-928 004.jpg (53.25 KiB) Viewed 4091 times
U-928 006.jpg
U-928 006.jpg (43.09 KiB) Viewed 4091 times
U-928 005.jpg
U-928 005.jpg (40.5 KiB) Viewed 4091 times
cdnbeehive

Re: Rare Mud Find

Postby Barrett » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:16 pm

That is quite the find! Congrats on the discovery of a truely rare insulator! I had no idea such a piece would ever have even been used in Canada.
Let us know what else you find along that "transportation corridor". ;)
Barrett

Re: Rare Mud Find

Postby cdnbeehive » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:20 pm

Barrett wrote:That is quite the find! Congrats on the discovery of a truely rare insulator! I had no idea such a piece would ever have even been used in Canada.
Let us know what else you find along that "transportation corridor". ;)

Lots of common brown stuff!

According to Elton Gish, there has never been a "wild" find of one of these (pre-patents) where the location was known. The post-patents were mostly used in Colorado mining areas.

I've got pics taken along the line in the 40's showing what appears to be 6 on the top crossarm. Sadly I have found no others, and the corridor is in low lying mucky scrub that is hell to walk and severely infested with black flies and mosquitoes. I may return in the fall.
cdnbeehive

Return to Hunts & Finds