It was just one of those days...

Here you can discuss any hunts or finds you may have made from the wild, auctions, shows, etc.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Re: It was just one of those days...

Postby Chris Minicola » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:39 am

Ok, Windsor is out.... Wait a second..... ;)
Chris Minicola

Postby trainman » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:42 am

Could the track be near Sarnia,or maybe York on the Buffalo track ,is it double track or single track was there a pole line on both sides or just one,,what other glass did you find ,,what kind of fork are you using ,,was it hot or just warm out side,,,did you wear work boots rubber boots or flipflops to get to this place,,we must know if we are to find insulators, CHRIS have a HEART :lol:
trainman

Postby Chris Minicola » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:22 am

Other glass, let's see - I found a broken food jar.... Oh yeah and I use a regular fork, sometimes a spoon, depends on what I'm eating. ;)

I was in bare feet, you can feel the glass better that way, and who said it was outside....
Chris Minicola

Postby magic170 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:37 am

I smell something fishy going on here. These seem to be repos to me I mean seriously you just dug those up along with the 2, circa 2010 bottles of molson canadian beer that are in the second picture hmmm. lol

Craig
magic170

Postby Chris Minicola » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:48 am

Yeah, we couldn't find the original bottles at the site so we had to settle for the modern stuff, at least it wasn't skunky :)

Here's another hunt pic - some of the finds:
test1.JPG
test1.JPG (190.05 KiB) Viewed 9368 times
Last edited by Chris Minicola on Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Minicola

Postby Barrett » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:07 pm

Man ALIVE!

Something is going on in Ontario these days... I haven't seen too many threadless caches turn up in my few years of collecting, but that's 2 in like 4 weeks!
Congratulations, Chris! And here I was wondering if you were still even getting out digging these days?
Want to tell us a bit of a story on how you came upon those? A pole site, or some kind of dumping site? Just probing? Found accidentally/ after 10 hours of gruelling work?
What markings are the M.T.Co.s? Any backwards M.T.Co. pieces? "oC.|.Ws?"
Cool stuff any way you look at it.
Oh, and I always do my digging in bare feet. Very little indoors, though. :P
Not so much threadless glass up here. Just lots of snow, ice, rock, and fluorescent clothing (see attached photo).
Last edited by Barrett on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barrett

Postby Shawn143 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:48 pm

Holy crap, watch out for polar bears!!!!!! Since you're young and tender, they might find you tasty, as compared to an old, tough, cantankerous older adult.

As for the latest threadless find, I won't ask any (no pun intended) probing questions, but tell us about the pin in the 718. Did it come lodged in it when you found it, is it an original threadless pin, with tar or creosote wrapped in burlap, which reportedly is how they mounted threadless back in the era?

Shawn
Shawn143

Postby Chris Minicola » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:27 am

Yes, the pin was found with the 718, which was unfortunately frost split in two but it will glue together and should display nicely. As far as I know it's the original threadless pin, there was no burlap on it but it could have rotted away, I still haven't given it a final cleaning yet.

These were found at a few different suspected pole sites, probing as usual, just happened to be one of those days being in the right spot at the right time. Oh and 2 of the 742s have the backward embossing.

I guess you don't have to worry about the heat and humidity too much Barrett?
Chris Minicola

Postby cdnbeehive » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:55 pm

They say good things come in threes eh! Maybe it will be my turn soon!

I'd love to turn up another one of those unassigned CD glass blocks!!
cdnbeehive

Postby Barrett » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:16 pm

Polar bears do turn up around these parts, though very rarely. We're pretty far from any major bodies of water. Lots of arctic hares, arctic foxes, sandhill cranes, snow geese, and a few peregrine falcons, though. Oh, and soon to be tonnes of mosquitoes. :D :D :D
Oh, and as you can imagine, it's pretty cold and dry up here, Chris. My skin has been drying out like mad. It is getting nicer, weather-wise. It was about 10 degrees C out and sunny today. It's like spring-time part 2!
Man, that is such a fantastic find! TWO backwards M.T.Co. 742s in one day! That is about on par with one emerald green 726 and one purple 742 in one day for me... 742s rock my socks, man.
Did you wind up with all of them, or is your friend keeping some?
Congrats again, man! I keep telling you we need to get out on a hunt together sometime, but... now I think so more than ever! ;)
Barrett

PreviousNext

Return to Hunts & Finds