Save U,all some steps

Here you can discuss any hunts or finds you may have made from the wild, auctions, shows, etc.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Save U,all some steps

Postby Bushman » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:13 pm

Was on the net wondering about this line for years, i,ve checked old photo,s and the only thing as far as glass that i could see was at each end of the line,So i ventured out the other day on the Key Valley Line , a 8 mile stretch from Pakesley on the the Canadian Pacific line to Lost Channel , an independant line own buy the a logging company,established about 1917 to 1935....I stopped at the old Pakesley .siding (removed) and bearly could make out the old rail bed leading to Lost Channel , so i travelled at few miles entering down to the bottom of the Key Valley and travelled east a mile or so on an old cordurouy road bed that elevated the trackbed up out of the bog,, retracing back west i ended up on a portion of the line converted to a snowmoblie trail..Know evidence of old poles , stones or wire..So up to the main road,and on a few miles ,and more tramping ,nothing to be found ,but the old bed and ties being heaved up by the frost..Onto the Lost Channel were i encountered meeting the owner of the Inn,He and his Mrs, had given me the layout of the area , and told me the town was self-reliant, in the Hayday with steampowered generator supplying power/water to the town Thus the old poles in the photo,s i was scoping ,, as far as telegraph lines. being an independant line free of government regulations i guess there was know need to have aline established... So if anyones interested in finding insulators i,ll save u,all a few steps..however it,s a Great walk and education how lines were laid out over some Ugly Terrain ....and Great history in at the Channel with old decaying steamboat, the old mill location ,and photo,s of steam engines traversing .with loads of timber.. (couple of pictures of the line)
Attachments
IMG_3747.JPG
IMG_3747.JPG (241.49 KiB) Viewed 4111 times
IMG_3763.JPG
IMG_3763.JPG (219.33 KiB) Viewed 4111 times
Bushman

Re: Save U,all some steps

Postby Bushman » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:25 pm

Couple more pictures ..........entering down into Key Valley (logging and reforestation still ongoing.....end of line Lost Channel old rail line still visible on shore at old mill site
Attachments
IMG_3754.JPG
IMG_3754.JPG (224.64 KiB) Viewed 4109 times
IMG_3759.JPG
IMG_3759.JPG (160.13 KiB) Viewed 4109 times
Bushman

Re: Save U,all some steps

Postby Barrett » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:58 pm

Thanks for the word, Andy. I don't think I'd be up there checking it out any time soon, anyways... but now I definitely will not be. ;)

B.
Barrett

Return to Hunts & Finds