Metal-Skirts

Here you can discuss any hunts or finds you may have made from the wild, auctions, shows, etc.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Metal-Skirts

Postby Barrett » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:24 am

While the title of this post may sound like some sort of bizarre gang name who derive their jollies from harassing innocents and wearing around armored kilts, it is actually more insulator-related than that.

While checking out a stretch of one of the old lines here in London, Ontario as my first hunting experience of the year,I decided to check a couple of the triple cross-armed poles in an urban area to see if anything of interest remained in the air. Sure enough, within a few pole spans of the road, I spotted something I have, personally, never actually had the chance to pull out of use. There, on one particularly rickity, termit-chewn and storm-damaged old pole with very few wires attached, was a trio of metal-skirted Dominion - 42 CD-154s. Wow! Those are pretty nifty to see still up on a crossarm. Surprisingly, after perusing the poles in the surrounding area, I did not see any metal-skirts on any other poles. Now the question was, what to do about these few that are still up in the air...

I checked out the surroundings. There were a few houses nearby that could be troublesome, but none that were quite close enough to really be concerned about. Darkness would be required for this operation. The pole itself would be easy to climb - decades of disuse had resulted in a sizable tree growing right next to the pole, with multiple nicely spaced branches that would make climbing very easy. Would this be my first chance to pull metal-skirted Dominion - 42s out of the air with my own two hands?

48 hours later, I have the 3 pieces here at my house. One, it turns out, is a C.N.R. blotout Diamond CD-154, while the other two are both Dominions. One of the Dominions is pretty much mint, while the other two have some wire groove chips. They all still have copper tie wires in place.

Nothing too rare, but not too shabby for my first wild find of 2010. It's kind of cool to think about the fact that those 3 have probably been on that very pole for over 70 years, and have seen the changes that London has undergone in that time. Most of the houses nearby have been built since then, so these insulators have seen a lot!

Considering that, I'd say the decade is off to a good start! It's nice to add one of these to the collection that I picked myself!

All the best, and keep those great hunting & finding stories coming! I love this time of the year for that!

10 - 03,14 - Tin-Skirts in Use.jpg
10 - 03,14 - Tin-Skirts in Use.jpg (149.63 KiB) Viewed 3418 times
Barrett

Re: Metal-Skirts

Postby novascotiaglass » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:57 am

Cool find Barrett, you dont see too many of those still kicking around.

On a line in NB I found a couple and in one spot where the road passed overtop of the tracks there were 8-12 of these still on a pole!! Absolutley no way of getting them though, too much traffic. I did pick up 2 1/2 sets of metal skirts off the ground there from insulators that had been broken.

Again, great way to start off the hunting season.

Jay
Glass Junkie....I need another fix
novascotiaglass

Return to Hunts & Finds