A fall insulator hunt

Here you can discuss any hunts or finds you may have made from the wild, auctions, shows, etc.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

A fall insulator hunt

Postby diggermike » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:43 pm

I've wanted to walk this line ever since I found it on google street view. Street view is a technological gem that I use from the comfort of my desk in Vancouver, BC. Its a great way to pass the winter months. So I found myself in the prairies this September with a google street view image in my head. I knew exactly where to turn and park, had my spurs, binoculars and was ready to go!

Only thing the street views were from 2013 so I still hoped that the lines would be up after 4 years. They were! Visions of CD 145's danced in my head. They were there!

photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (410.06 KiB) Viewed 8329 times

The line was full of glass. I had my binoculars with me to check out the glass closer. I mostly use this to check condition but also crudity and color variations. Color variations are hard to spot because most of the time the insulators are grimy or the peg hides the true color. I figure any insulator that looks to be in good condition is worth a closer look.

Tough color emerald green CD145! The emerald green CD145's were on the top cross beam on the end (tough pick!)

photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (658.33 KiB) Viewed 8329 times

I'm still hoping for a purple or color swirl CD145. I'll keep you posted.
diggermike

Re: A fall insulator hunt

Postby Chris Minicola » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:45 am

Nice hunt! Thanks for posting. Amazing to see stuff like that still up on the lines.
Chris Minicola

Postby diggermike » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:25 pm

Thanks Chris! Couple more photos:
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG (131.71 KiB) Viewed 8316 times

Just walk up and take your pick!

photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (114.86 KiB) Viewed 8316 times

A few prizes after many miles walked. Where are those light purples?!

photo.JPG
photo.JPG (116.18 KiB) Viewed 8316 times
diggermike

Postby Chris Minicola » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:49 am

Nice colours on the GTP/B's - I don't think I've seen that blue colour before, they seem to be mostly in the green shades.
Chris Minicola

Postby diggermike » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:18 am

Chris I wish that was its true color! My iphone makes it look more of a cornflower blue when its really kind of forest green. The far right insulators color is more correct definitely emerald green.
diggermike

Return to Hunts & Finds