Spring Glass

Here you can discuss any hunts or finds you may have made from the wild, auctions, shows, etc.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Spring Glass

Postby CliMac » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:11 pm

Spring is finally here! Though I haven't been finding much time to devote to insulators the last few years, I still manage to get out on a few hunts in the spring; it's absolutely the best time for it. Thursday was my 1st time out this year and today was my 2nd. I got skunked on Thursday, but had some luck today. I picked a spot that I had paced off from a known pole site to where I thought the adjacent one might be and started probing. It wasn't long before I heard a distinct glassy tone from my fork and dug up a threadless shard. I probed all around it gradually working my way outward from it. Nearby I got a glassy sound again, but it turned out to be half a busted dino egg. I found another chunk of that a couple of minutes later and then about 45 minutes after that I hit glass again. Thinking it was more of the 1st shard, I was very pleasantly surprised to dig up an intact 742.

742 front.jpg
742 front.jpg (97.02 KiB) Viewed 11643 times

742 back.jpg
742 back.jpg (98.11 KiB) Viewed 11643 times

742 base.jpg
742 base.jpg (82.33 KiB) Viewed 11643 times

I couldn't really work the pole site as good as I wanted due to patches of still frozen ground, so after poking around some more where I could for another hour or so, I moved on. I managed to find the approximate location of the next pole site with another shard find, but there was even more frozen ground there. I worked my way back to the Jeep pacing and stopping here and there for a few pokes then headed to the nearest store for a snack and took a break. After that I stopped at another spot and checked out a known pole site where I found a few shards in previous years. I managed to dig up a couple more shards there before deciding to pack it in. (see next post for shards)
CliMac

Re: Spring Glass

Postby CliMac » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:17 pm

shards.jpg
shards.jpg (58.15 KiB) Viewed 11641 times

I forgot to take a camera with me, but I did take some photos on site with my phone but can't seem to find the cable for it. If I can come up with the cable I will add them later though I didn't check before taking them and I had the resolution set really low.

I hope to get out again but Turkey season starts later this week so we'll see...

:lol:
CliMac

Postby gerrypocha » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:40 pm

Thats a fantastic find! I dont think i have seen a 742 with a better condition base,super piece with amber.
gerrypocha

Postby magic170 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:42 pm

super cool
magic170

Postby Lee S. » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:54 am

great find cliff!
Lee S.

Postby Shawn143 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:35 pm

Great find, Cliff. Been a while for me as well, no hunting in almost 2 years. Keep digging, and stay dry!!!!
Shawn143

Postby Fossulator » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:43 am

What a way to start off a year. Good to hear from you again Cliff, I'd been wondering what you were up to
Fossulator

Return to Hunts & Finds