Spring Fosters Finds

Here you can discuss any hunts or finds you may have made from the wild, auctions, shows, etc.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Spring Fosters Finds

Postby Barrett » Thu May 17, 2012 10:58 am

Hey, all!

As the spring has gotten away on me and I'm soon slated to head north for the summer, I thought I'd share one of my better finds from this spring. Despite having been out digging a few dozen times this year I've only come home really ecstatic about the days' finds on a couple occasions. In any case it's been unusually nice weather for getting out and doing some digging this spring, and I can never complain when given the chance. :)
The abridged version: Hiking from a spot my digging partner and I had found the previous year with the scattered remnants of a 718 strewn about, we settled upon the next pole site for some exploration. Poking around for about 10 minutes landed the feeling of glass on the end of my fork, and I knew it could be good as we were no where near a modern pole site and this piece was over 6" down. Digging the piece out, I was ecstatic to find 3 pieces of a CD-718 which amounted to the entire insulator - apparently frost-popped in place! I snapped a photo, gathered up all the shards, and kept poking around the pole site.

718 - aqua1.jpg
718 - aqua1.jpg (197.47 KiB) Viewed 7344 times

No more than 10 minutes later I was poking near a small shrub about a metre away and I hit glass again. While hitting glass is no rare while looking for threadless, hitting anything substantial (that isn't a bottle, or a fragment of insulator so miniscule that it can't be identified) is quite unusual. This felt substantial. Of course, the shrub presented numerous problems in unearthing what lay buried beneath its roots and it took me over 5 minutes of digging to even see what I had located. Blackglass! But how much? The answer became quite apparent within a couple more minutes of cutting out roots and removing soil.

740 - Fosters1.jpg
740 - Fosters1.jpg (245.12 KiB) Viewed 7344 times

The piece came to day, and because of it's prone position it remained un-frost-popped and was essentially as mint as the day it was made. I was ecstatic, as this was my first intact Foster Brothers CD-740! Suffice it to say, I went home happy and have been back to the site several times, though no glass has been unearthed there since. I'm sure there's something more to be found there, it's just a matter of time and effort. Fortunately, both of those things I have to spend. :)
I'll be awaiting my opportunity to see this sort of sight again in the near future.

740 - Fosters2.jpg
740 - Fosters2.jpg (242.31 KiB) Viewed 7344 times

Keep looking! They are still out there! In 2012, insulators discarded in the late 19th and early 20th century continue to come to light, and you never know how or when it will happen. Hit the local lines, even if you're just walking at first, and you may be surprised as to what sort of gems turn up.
Take care,
Last edited by Barrett on Fri May 18, 2012 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barrett

Re: Spring Fosters Finds

Postby Fossulator » Thu May 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Congrats on the find Barrett, that is a beauty. I can see why you went home happy
Fossulator

Postby CliMac » Thu May 17, 2012 9:52 pm

:o
Great hunt Barrett, that Foster's is fantastic! Too bad the 718 is busted but nice that you have all of it. I hope it looks good reassembled. I would be happy to come home with either one of those finds but to get them both on one hunt is outstanding!

Barrett wrote:I've only come home really ecstatic about the days' finds on a couple occasions

What did you bring home on the other ecstatic occasion? :D
CliMac

Postby Shawn143 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:35 pm

You know that Fosters is coming out Saturday. Looks to be a perfect weather, mid 80's, possibly not a cloud in the sky. Your neighbour cutting his grass again tomorrow? :roll:

Shawn
Shawn143

Return to Hunts & Finds