2011 Insulators

Here you can discuss any hunts or finds you may have made from the wild, auctions, shows, etc.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

2011 Insulators

Postby novascotiaglass » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:03 pm

Continuing the tradition from the past few years here are my finds from this year.

I did a bit better this year in the insulator game, still not adding a lot of pieces as the local market doesn't produce a lot, but still some interesting stuff.

Enjoy

1. CD143 GNW in grayish/purple hint. This piece was purchased from long time local collector Morgan Davis. I had spoke for this piece awhile back and Morgan was kind enough to give me first crack at it when he decided to part with it.

2. CD 102 backwards 2 on the dome in royal purple. I got this piece from a local antique shop. He said he got it in with a bunch of other purple diamond ponies. This particular dealer knows a lot about insulators but still gave me a very good deal on this particular piece.

3. CD 737.5 Cobalt blue. Dad has this piece on his shelf but we each dug a piece of it so I am letting him hold onto it for now. Only half an insulator, still looking for the other half. Since then we have turned up another shard in a different location. Tough line to hunt, but could turn up something at any point so it is fun.[/code]
Attachments
gnw.jpg
gnw.jpg (189.56 KiB) Viewed 10026 times
purp2.jpg
purp2.jpg (206.68 KiB) Viewed 10026 times
cobalt blue 004.jpg
cobalt blue 004.jpg (106.21 KiB) Viewed 10026 times
Glass Junkie....I need another fix
novascotiaglass

Re: 2011 Insulators

Postby novascotiaglass » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:19 pm

More glass

1. CD 143 NE Can Tall Variant in purple. I went to see a fellow NS collector whom I had never met before. He informed me he was ready to sell his collection and that he had a lot of glass. That was the understatement of the century. I spent hours going through literally 1000's upon 1000's of insulators. By far the biggest collection I have ever seen. After digging through all of them I only bought 3 haha. This was one of them.

2. CD162.4 1678 milky aqua. I went to check out about 10 insulators a guy had. He sent me some pics but it didn't looking like much there. I could see a couple of 1678's in the mix and since my buddy lived about 2 mins from this guys house I figured I could go check them out and visit a friend at the same time. 2 of the 1678's were common but this one was a stand out. Hard to tell in the pics but it is very milky. Also has an underpoured base which causes a great lean. Mint condition to boot. The former owner didnt know anything about insulators but let me know all the pieces came from a line East of Quebec City. I usually give all the 1678's I find to Dad but couldn't part with this one.

3. Pic of the 1678 leaning.
Attachments
143purp.jpg
143purp.jpg (147.15 KiB) Viewed 10025 times
1678milk.jpg
1678milk.jpg (158.35 KiB) Viewed 10025 times
1678milk2.jpg
1678milk2.jpg (159.82 KiB) Viewed 10025 times
novascotiaglass

Postby novascotiaglass » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:37 pm

and more

1. CD 145 GNW purple. I got this from the same collection as the CD 143 tall NE Canada. I actually didn't have one in my collection already.

2. CD 143 NE Can aqua. I am not sure which mold this is. I think it is a tall variant, if not it is one of the converted threadless molds I believe. I picked this piece up from Morgan Davis at the same time I purchased the CD143 GNW. He had just picked it up in a box lot of dishes at a local auction. Pays to check out all the boxes at an auction for sure.

3. CD734 McMicking. This is my fave piece of the year, and not just because it's threadless. Dad and I went to one of the "50 mile" yard sales held annually here in NS. We started at the head of the route and hit quite a few yard sales. We then continued on and only came across a few more. We started doubting our route, which we later found out was not the right route, we had gone the wrong way. While on the "wrong route" we went into a garage sale in a small garage along the ocean. Not much of interest, a couple couches and odds and ends. As we often do Dad asked the guy "You don't have any bottles or insulators by chance?" The guy said "What was the second thing you said?" then he started chuckling. He led us into a second room in the garage where he had one insulator on a shelf, it was the McMicking. He then led us to another building where he had a porcelain GTP beehive and another common dominion. We then went back to the McMicking and he told us the story. He at one point years ago worked for the railway in BC. While working there he and a friend of his had heard about the Wire Cache and how threadless insulators were being unearthed and that they were worth money. So they went up to dig some for themselves. While digging they stuck threadless gold. The uncovered what he called a case of McMickings. I can't remember the amount they found it was either 24 or 30 of them. He kept one for himself and his friend kept one and took the rest to California to sell to a collector or collectors.

This is my fave piece of the year because of the story. This piece came straight from the digger who found it at the famous find in BC directly to me. It is a piece I will never part with. The piece has a nice bubble in it with a piece of straw/hay in the bubble. Not sure if it is from the original packing or not, but I like to think so. Sometimes wrong turns can lead to good things I guess.
Attachments
145gnw.jpg
145gnw.jpg (159.91 KiB) Viewed 10025 times
143tall.jpg
143tall.jpg (171.58 KiB) Viewed 10025 times
mcmiking.jpg
mcmiking.jpg (154.36 KiB) Viewed 10025 times
novascotiaglass

Postby novascotiaglass » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:53 pm

and more

1. Electrical Supply Co CD 133.1. Ok, not an expensive piece but worth mentioning because of where it was found. I went to check out a linemans phone line collection in the fall. The collection was full of common insulators. However there were about 5 (4 broken) of these Chicago insulators mixed in. Not sure why they were in use here but I dont question anything anymore, NS has a wide and vast variety of glass that was used here. I didn't buy the collection but the guy gave me this one piece for taking the time to drive down and view it.

2. CD 126NE Canada aqua with milk. I got this piece in a trade with a fellow insulator collector here in the province. I had spoken for this piece a long long time ago and I finally came up with the necessary trader to get it. This is also a local piece.

3. CD 108 NE Canada. Not a spectacular piece to look at, but I think quite a tough one to find. I got this in the same large collection the CD 145GNW came out of. Condition is bad, but I thought best not to leave it behind.
Attachments
chicago.jpg
chicago.jpg (170.89 KiB) Viewed 10023 times
126.jpg
126.jpg (165.56 KiB) Viewed 10023 times
108.jpg
108.jpg (151.76 KiB) Viewed 10023 times
Last edited by novascotiaglass on Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
novascotiaglass

Postby novascotiaglass » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:01 pm

and finally.

1. CD143 Withy in Green. My only online purchase of the year. This piece was snagged of the E Place for $200, which I thought was a very fair deal. Never see them go for that cheap and this one is in good condition as well.

2. U 220 B. This is the bottom half of a U220 A&B Locke two piece. I previously owned a complete example but traded it for some glass I wanted. This piece was bought from a local guy who had a few commons and this one goodie mixed in. If anyone knows someone who needs a bottom let them know I have this. These pieces were used throughout the province of NS as they have turned up in multiple locations.

3. CD 102 NN Canada purple tint backwards 2 on the dome. I traded for this piece with the same collector that had the CD 126 NE Canada. This piece was found locally at a yard sale by the fellow collector.
Attachments
whithy.jpg
whithy.jpg (170.76 KiB) Viewed 10023 times
locke.jpg
locke.jpg (130.72 KiB) Viewed 10023 times
lightpurple2.jpg
lightpurple2.jpg (156.11 KiB) Viewed 10023 times
novascotiaglass

Postby Barrett » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:17 pm

Hey, Jason!

Great stuff as always. You guys do seem to have quite the variety of glass out there, and it is such an untapped resource in a lot of ways! Keep on checking out those ads and hitting up those yard sales... not to mention digging along those lines in the case of the cobalt 737.5. I hope you get the chance to head back and pull a couple of those babies out intact or at least complete.
Congrats on a year of great finds!
Barrett

Return to Hunts & Finds