The Hoard of Dark Green G.T.P. Beehives (CD 145)

Here you can discuss any hunts or finds you may have made from the wild, auctions, shows, etc.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

The Hoard of Dark Green G.T.P. Beehives (CD 145)

Postby speleausmining » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:25 am

Having a day off I decided to visit one of the shops in town that occasionally has insulators I found a couple including a Star Pony and got to talking with the owner about insulators. Then he said the magic words; "If your interested I have boxes of them upstairs". Well what more encouragement did I need. Once we got upstairs he showed me the boxes then left me to select the insulators I was interested in. As I began to look through the dusty boxes my jaw droped. The boxes were full of beehives (CD 145) with 2 or three beehives to every hemingray or common telephone insulator. The first few I pulled out were the old familiar but scarce G.T.P. Beehives in various shades of Aqua but soon different embossing began to be found G.T.P. Tel. Co., T.C.R., E.D.R. to name a few. Then I pulled out another G.T.P., paused and looked at it again, it seemed really dark under the dust, wiping it off it WAS dark and not just really dirty it was Brookfield Green! Then another Brookfield green one but with snow, One with Potstones, one with a blonde streak through the glass, and One that was approching 7up green. At least an hour later I headed back downstairs with my prizes every dark G.T.P. with potstones or snow as well as the one with the blonde streak and a couple approching 7up Green. Theres still more boxes to go through and I plan on going back for a second look. Below is a pic of a few of them. My photos are not the best you cannot see most of the snow and the colours are not quite as nice as in person. While certainly not the most exciting find this was the first time I had seen a G.T.P. in any color other then aqua and that was exciting. Also new to my collection was the T.C.R. and E.D.R. markings. If anyone is looking for a G.T.P. for their collection in a colour other then aqua let me know I am only too happy to share the find.
Attachments
GTP's.jpg
Green G.T.P.'s
GTP's.jpg (198.58 KiB) Viewed 9263 times
speleausmining

Re: The Hoard of Dark Green G.T.P. Beehives (CD 145)

Postby trainman » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:30 am

GREAT GLASS :)
trainman

Postby speleausmining » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:49 pm

Here is the hoard so far. There are still some more GTP's in aqua I want to go back for because they have green-amber swirls in the glass. Some of the ones pictures are fairly common Brookfields & Hemmingrays but they are upgrades in VNM-M for specimines in my collection.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Hoard of G.T.P.'s
Untitled.jpg (144.38 KiB) Viewed 9220 times
speleausmining

Postby speleausmining » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:53 pm

I should explain the "cut off" pin in the photograph above. Its actually an adapter pin to allow a normal pinned insulator to be installed on a small steel telephone pin. At first I thought it was just something someone had been home made but on closer examination it appears to be an original manufactured item.
speleausmining

Postby speleausmining » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:49 pm

Here is a better pick of one with snow in the glass.
Attachments
Snowy G.T.P..png
Snowy G.T.P..png (177.56 KiB) Viewed 9216 times
speleausmining

Postby magic170 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:58 pm

always good to finds somtehing new cool
magic170

Postby speleausmining » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:49 pm

Heres a Brookfield found yesturday. Again lots of snow in this one.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Snowy Brookfield
Untitled.jpg (238.83 KiB) Viewed 9169 times
speleausmining

Postby gerrypocha » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:21 am

lotsa junk in that 164 for sure! I picked a ton of those GTP/Bs in the early nineties. There were a lot of those on the CNR main line thru Sask. I picked at least one super teal green,and a bunch of dark yellow green units near Unity Sask back in the day,Nice American/Canadian glass. Happy collecting... :)
gerrypocha

Return to Hunts & Finds