Hamilton Glass site excavated?

Here you can discuss any hunts or finds you may have made from the wild, auctions, shows, etc.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Hamilton Glass site excavated?

Postby Mark » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:25 pm

hi;
I found where Hamilton Glass was located, and after entering the cross-streets in google maps, I see there is a large excavation & construction site. I don't know how old these maps are, but has anyone checked out the site for possible dump shards? Here's what I typed into google maps: hughson & picton hamilton, ON
Mark

Re: Hamilton Glass site excavated?

Postby Lee S. » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:36 pm

Hi Mark,

Hamilton Glass was one block west of where the construction is shown, i.e. between Hughson & James, not Hughson & John.

Lee.
Lee S.

Postby Mark » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:14 pm

I see what you mean. There are several houses on that block, I wonder if anyone has dug up anything in their back yards? Also, there is a public library on that corner. I'd bet they would love to have a little display showing what was at the vicinity. Do you know about the Canadian Glass Collectors' org, called "Glasfax"? Someone in that org published a history of Hamilton Glass a number of years ago.
Listed on this page:
http://www.glasfax.ca/page3.html
Mark

Postby Lee S. » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:39 pm

I remember reading in CJOW that Jack Hayes retrieved some pieces of insulators from the Hamilton Glass site when it was redeveloped in the 70's.

I haven't read that book, but "Glass in Canada" by Thomas B. King gives a good overview of this glass works (and every other Canadian glass works for that matter).

Lee.
Lee S.

Return to Hunts & Finds