Found a few....

Here you can discuss any hunts or finds you may have made from the wild, auctions, shows, etc.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Re: Found a few....

Postby Chris Minicola » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:29 pm

Hi Dave - it's good to hear of someone actually picking off this line that early and that would have been close to where I picked these up. Is Rollo McDonald still around? That's a name you hear quite a lot from the early days of the hobby. Was his study of 143's ever published? I remember walking part of this line near Marmora around 1978 or 1979 and it was full of glass, probably 5 or 6 crossarms full. Unfortunately, I was more interested in fishing then but I remember thinking how easy it would be to get some of the insulators as the lowest crossarm was within reach just standing on the ground.

I worked most of this line from Havelock all the way to the Agincourt yard during 2000 - 2002 or so. Most of it was picked over very well, but every once in a while a little pocket of good stuff would turn up usually at the farthest point between crossings. I remember there being a few good ones that were on tall poles or within sight of homes that I meant to go back for but never got around to it.
Chris Minicola

Re: Found a few....

Postby Brett Bloxam » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:30 pm

Hey Chris

Rollo is still around and has been living out east for many years. He parted with his insulator collection a long time ago. I got my first threadless insulator off him in the late 70's. He was always great to deal with. I have a copy of the "Inventory of Canadian Insulators" he published with a collector named R.J. Gauci. It includes info on CD's 143, 121, 164 and threadless insulators. It originated in April, 1973 with additional mail outs in 1974 and 1975. Paul Axman contributed information and would know more about it.

Brett
Brett Bloxam

Previous

Return to Hunts & Finds