First Hunt Ever

Here you can discuss any hunts or finds you may have made from the wild, auctions, shows, etc.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

First Hunt Ever

Postby poorboy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:28 am

The wife and I decided to start collecting insulators on July 1st long weekend. We have bought a few here and there at antique shops and at the Drumheller Show on the 24th of July but today was our first official hunt. We found two porcelain on a pole up by East Coulee that I managed to get complete with hardware and some wire. Then we went into East Coulee were I bought a few at an antique store one of which is a greenish CD162.4. Then on the way home just 10 miles from the wife spotted a downed rail pole from at least 15yrs ago so we checked it out and came away with 4 good CD154,so i don't think we did too bad for our first day.
Can someone tell me the # and name of the porcelain in the photo?
100_135.JPG
100_135.JPG (24.87 KiB) Viewed 6751 times

Also what color do you think this is
100_ 355-1.JPG
100_ 355-1.JPG (47.68 KiB) Viewed 6751 times
poorboy

Re: First Hunt Ever

Postby Shawn143 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:48 am

Don't know much about porcelain, but it looks like a guy wire 'connector'. Probably the wrong terminology, but that's what it appears to be. Had one once in army green, real tough colour. Sold it to a big time California collector, since he's only seen 1 before. The browns are what the majority of them come in.
As for the 1678, inside shot with flourescent light is deceiving. Could be green aqua, light green, lime green or light yellow green. Any of the above would be good, as it appears to be in great shape. If it's either of the last 2 colours, the deal is even sweeter.

Shawn
Shawn143

Postby poorboy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:09 pm

Shawn143 wrote:
As for the 1678, inside shot with flourescent light is deceiving. Could be green aqua, light green, lime green or light yellow green. Any of the above would be good, as it appears to be in great shape. If it's either of the last 2 colours, the deal is even sweeter.

Shawn

here is a outside shot of the 1678
100_1360.JPG
100_1360.JPG (46.22 KiB) Viewed 6740 times

Where does a person find a color match chart for these things. Everyone on the net has different colors and it seems as everyone's eyes see it differently as my wife and I are a good example of. We can never agree on a color.
poorboy

Postby daverosy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:44 pm

Nice 1678. Lime green,aqua. A hint of a two tone in the dome.
As for colour ID's... Experience tells all. Find a mentor and keep asking questions and it just comes along.
No question is a dumb one, especially when we are trying to keep new blood in the hobby!
There are colour systems, but nothing beats experience.

Cheers and have fun.
Canadian glass is COOL!
daverosy

Postby 369reid » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:20 pm

Good first hunt, Gord. Very nice 1678.
Canadian Insulators Rock
369reid

Postby poorboy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:25 pm

Thanks daverosy and 369reid for the words of encouragement. As for the experience I don't know as i have that many years left to gain it. I forget more than I remember now. I guess I should have started this about 40yrs sooner when I was a bit more mobile and healthier.
I went back today to where we saw the downed pole yesterday and got the CD154 that I had to leave behind yesterday but I had to take the pin with it. While I was there I got 3 more good pins. I walked a distance from where the downed pole was and found another pole in the water and a partial crossarm but no glass. I walked back on the track bed and found a bunch of steel cleats and a smaller cleat with CPR stamped on it with some #s so brought it as well. It is soaking in a rust remover solution right now.
I can't believe that I never saw that downed pole before cause I probably drove by it a hundred times over the years and so close to home at that.
poorboy

Return to Hunts & Finds