Antique Shop finds

Here you can discuss any hunts or finds you may have made from the wild, auctions, shows, etc.

Moderators: threadless, Chris Minicola, Bill Meier

Antique Shop finds

Postby cdnbeehive » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:24 am

On Thursday I took a trip to the Toronto area making stops in Newmarket, Pickering and Sutton. Instead of taking the fastest route, I decided to travel on Highway 7 via Peterborough to get down there from Ottawa. I had a few stops in mind along the way, the first of which was along the CPR Havelock Subdivision at the 2nd last crossing before the end of steel near Blairton. I was surprised to see many 143s still left on the poles near the crossings. At one particular spot, which I don't mind revealing, I attempted to pluck what was either a light grey, clear or light purple 143. Sadly it was glued to the pin, but if anyone from the area is willing, the pole could probably be climbed.

Further along we passed through Port Perry and came upon an antique shop/chip wagon west of Highway 12. I didn't see any insulators in the shop, however the proprietor brought me out to a milk crate FULL of ponies and tolls. All were filthy and smoke-stained, so I made her an offer on the lot and got my wish. She also mentioned having 3 more crates that I could have a look at on my way back. I was too busy to look over my purchase as I had both kids and was trying to drive. Next stop was Newmarket, then Pickering. I did a quick hunt in Scarborough, found nothing, and decided to treat the kids to some big city train watching. Bad move! Apparently we gave a bunch of people a scare across the 401 from Durham Jct. where the GO line flies under the CN line to MacMillan Yard. Upon returning to the car we were greeted by the Durham Regional Police who questioned us and let us go.

The day after we went to the Toronto Zoo, but since the kids were up WAY too early, we took a stab at the old CNOR line running parallel to the CPR mainline. Strangely the pole stumps were all easy to find after being down since about 1931. The area was infested with poison ivy and biting ants, so we didn't stay long, but we did find bits of 143s near the pole sites. After the zoo we crossed the Havelock Sub again and saw crossarms full of 143's once again. Our final destination was the Sutton area for the day, and we did a quick hunt along the old CNO line and found nothing before retreating to visit some family members.

On Saturday morning we headed back to Ottawa with a detour through Port Perry to view the remaining insulators. I grabbed another crate from here and headed home not knowing what the heck I had just bought, but with hopes for the best. After taking a well-deserved nap I finally sorted through my purchases. I had over 50 insulators, including 102's, 121's, 106's and a 115. There turned out to be a few keepers including 3 milk swirled <> 102's [040], a lavender <> 102 [160], a light green NECAN 102 (MLOD) with threads to the base, a nice amber swirled BTC 102 [040], a nice Brookfield 102 with a ghost embossing over the NEW in NEW YORK, and finally the Hemigray 115 in an unlisted embossing with an "H" after the M, which was re-engraved to make the second vertical bar of the "H" part of the "N".

I've attached some photos... and even though most have some chipping, it was still a great find.

Oh, and anyone wanting the locale of the pole near Havelock should email me :)
Attachments
Toronto July 28-30 006.jpg
Toronto July 28-30 006.jpg (48.47 KiB) Viewed 4324 times
Toronto July 28-30 003.jpg
Toronto July 28-30 003.jpg (164.62 KiB) Viewed 4324 times
Toronto July 28-30 001.jpg
Toronto July 28-30 001.jpg (117.18 KiB) Viewed 4324 times
cdnbeehive

Re: Antique Shop finds

Postby Bushman » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Chris I,Think that,s Randy,s old stumpin grounds, that Havelock Sub, Seen a few 143,s and GNW 145,s there a few years ago,Think ,there hav,n that Country/Western Jamboree down there soon, Maybe get a few of them there happy camper,s to climb them poles fer ya..they probably wouldn,t feel much pain if they fell off the cross arm from 30 feet..(Risk,n life or limb)
Bushman

Re: Antique Shop finds

Postby cdnbeehive » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:12 am

Is Randy still down in those parts? We haven't heard from him in a while. I seem to recall Chris Minicola lives in the area as well.

Oh, and would the fellow who called me at home on Monday send me an email? I enjoyed talking to you about this line and didn't get a chance to take your name and number as I was in a bit of a rush.

Chris
cdnbeehive

Return to Hunts & Finds